Who has used their licensed independently to work in an Urgent Care Setting

7 hours ago, ArmyMan said:

I want to say thanks to everyone who gave me their heart warm advice about this urgent care job, and I have decided to move on with other employments (I have two other interview coming up soon), but I will also want to share with everyone the email I sent to this doctor concerning all the concerns that everyone voice out to me. I just want to see what this doctor response will be after he has read my email, and I will share with everyone of you. If I do not share anything with you, that means he did not response, but whatever response he sent my way I will share with everyone of you. 

Dear Dr. [removed],  

I hope you are doing fine and all is well with you and your family. I spoke to my family and I have done some research on our conversation we had when we met. 

I have some concerns that I would like to bring to your attention and please excuse me for my bluntness, but my words below are not meant to insult you or the company, but it is meant to convey the idea that I am worth something and my importance to the profession of medicine.

Concerns:

·      $ 45/hour is problematic, especially when I am not being paid a time and half when I work over time.

·      How will my support call be like (I need detail explanation of when the support call take place)? Do you have quality assurance system in place, with active review of professional activities?

·      Will I get paid for taking charts home to be completed because I was busy while at the Urgent Care? And if so, at what rate per hour? I will ensure that charts are completed before going home, but there are instances were charts might be taken home. 

·      You said malpractice insurance is covered. Is it covered 100%? You also said that my fees such as licensure and DEA will also be covered, are they covered at 100% every time each one needed to be renewed or is a one-time coverage?

·      Also, $1000 for CME is very low compare to other companies I have interview with over the phone. Every company I’ve had phone conversation with has been offering me a minimum of $2000-2500 for CME and a week off to attend CME conferences. So, I will not take $1000 for CME and I need at least a week off to attend CME conferences.

·      401 K wasn’t mentioned when I met with you, and I would like to know the status of benefits that are not mentioned anywhere here in this document.

·      Are there going to be a written contract that spells out in detail my responsibilities as well as the company’s responsibilities (an email to me will not satisfy this section)?

·      How does my 500 hours work out? Can you please explain further? (Does that mean I go into the ER on the days I am off after I’ve already worked 4 days per week at the Urgent Care in Perrysburg? Who is going to pay me while working at the ER (is it the Urgent Care or the ER hospital)? And am I getting $ 45/hour when I worked at the ER?). Please give me a detail explanation?

·      I would like to complete my 500 hours in my first 90 days or so, and not waiting months before completing those 500 hours. The 48 hours a week (four 12 hour shifts) I work at the Urgent Care should have a Medical Doctor’s license attached to it so that I am getting credit towards my 500 hours of supervision. Many PAs I know and have had conversations with complete their 500 hours first before practicing by themselves and I will like to go that route. If you want me to do my 500 hours at the ER, I should be doing the 500 hours first at the ER before letting me loose into the public independently – preferably, I will like to see this course of action take place and that will motivate me to sign a longer contract with your company.

·      Some patients’ presentation at the Urgent Care may need more attention than others; it could take more time to care for patients with a laceration compare to a patient that only need a sport physical exam completed.  

·      I do not have DOT certification for me to be doing DOT physicals. Is the company paying for me to get my DOT certificate? Or do I have to pay for it my self? I am sure patients’ will present for a DOT physical to be completed.

·      I get paid once a month, which means that my first month is going to be rough because I won’t have any income coming in except for the income coming in from the Army Reserve, which is not enough to pay for my rent in Perrysburg and take care of my self – that is the reason why I am currently living with my family to cut down on my bills and I can’t do that while living in Perrysburg, Ohio.

·      You are asking me to relocate to another city (125 miles away from where I currently reside) without relocation funds. How am I going to pay for a new rental agreement with an apartment company with limited funds at the moment? How am I going to move my belongings (such as my bed, car, and other needed items) to the Perrysburg’s location without any relocation funds? These are legitimate questions and concerns I have and would like answers to them. I will love to practice at an Urgent Care center, but I can only do it with fair compensation. My goal is to get fair compensation for my work, and I don’t need anything more and I will definitely not take anything less – except if I am not aware of it.

·      If my questions and concerns are not addressed appropriately, then I will look for another employment. I went to The University of Toledo for PA school, and at The University of Toledo the Medical Doctors that taught the MD students were the same Medical Doctors that taught the PA students and we (PA students) took the same exams as the MD students, and PA students have to receive a minimum of 80% (grade of B) on all didactic exams and residency exams in order to proceed to the next level of education (I even had a Medical Doctor told me once that it is not fair for PA students to receive a minimum of 80% on exams while MD students receive a minimum of 70% when the MD students will be the ones telling the PA students what to do in the future). So, I would like to get paid for what I am worth.

Thank you very much for your time, effort, consideration, and meeting me in person.

Sincerely, 

[removed], PA-C. 

Very blunt, but I think more responses like this should be sent to shitty offers. Shows that we know our worth and aren't afraid to fire back after being insulted. I wouldn't count on getting the job after this, but you're definitely better off. I doubt that he will respond at all. 

21 hours ago, sas5814 said:

I predict , if you hear from him at all, it will not be positive. He is looking for the cheapest help he can get to earn as much money as possible for him. He will not respond well to being "challenged". 

I'll be interested in hearing the follow up.

He actually did respond, but you can clearly tell that this guy is really looking for a cheap labor. I have his response listed below. Yesterday, I went ahead and invested in the "2016 AAPA Salary Report" so that I don't get scam by someone like him, and I will also do the best I can to negotiate as much as possible using third party as a reference when negotiating. Again, thanks to everyone that gave me their precious advice. I really appreciate everyone of you. 

I am sorry 
But you can look for different position which addresses your concerns better 
Thanks and good luck 
[removed] 

Sent from my iPhone

On 7/29/2017 at 7:50 PM, ArmyMan said:

Working under my license means that I will be practicing medicine and prescribing drugs solo under my license so that if anything goes wrong, I will be liable and this doctor will just collect the profit I make for him without his license being affect. This doctor will not be reviewing my charts at all. Whatever charts I complete is as is, so if I make any error, there is no second eye to catch it all. I will be seeing patients and prescribing in the ER/ED, but I am going to the ER/ED only to fulfill my 500 hours of supervision that we PAs (because nurse practitioners only complete 100 hours of supervision) have to complete, but those ER/ED days are extra days I have to work beyond the four 12 hour shifts (48 hours) per week I have work each week for him. 

Yes, I agree with you that I should not be by my self working giving that I am a newbie. That is what I was told by a nurse practitioner provider that was my preceptor during my urgent care rotation/residency. I just love working in urgent care center, but my only challenge is that I don't have experience right now because that is what a lot of the urgent cares and emergency departments are telling me right now. 

I don't know of any state where PAs legally function solo and without liability for anyone else.  Your supervising physician will always be liable to some extent for your actions.  As others have said, lots of red flags about this situation.  Did this doctor really emphasize the on your own part?  Because you need a supervising physician who you can contact whenever you need to because as a new grad you will need advice very often.  And really you need that supervision early on to learn by discussing patients every day.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 7:50 PM, ArmyMan said:

Working under my license means that I will be practicing medicine and prescribing drugs solo under my license so that if anything goes wrong, I will be liable and this doctor will just collect the profit I make for him without his license being affect. This doctor will not be reviewing my charts at all. Whatever charts I complete is as is, so if I make any error, there is no second eye to catch it all. I will be seeing patients and prescribing in the ER/ED, but I am going to the ER/ED only to fulfill my 500 hours of supervision that we PAs (because nurse practitioners only complete 100 hours of supervision) have to complete, but those ER/ED days are extra days I have to work beyond the four 12 hour shifts (48 hours) per week I have work each week for him. 

Yes, I agree with you that I should not be by my self working giving that I am a newbie. That is what I was told by a nurse practitioner provider that was my preceptor during my urgent care rotation/residency. I just love working in urgent care center, but my only challenge is that I don't have experience right now because that is what a lot of the urgent cares and emergency departments are telling me right now. 

I would recommend reviewing state practice act and understanding more about liability.  In my experience it seems as though many PA program and clinical preceptors don't spend enough time discussing this with PA students.  Unfortunately, it is not true that you are 100% liable on your own just because the physician isn't involved.  In fact they would be even more liable by letting a new grad run the show on their own without any quality assurance (chart review) in place. 

5 hours ago, sillycibin said:

I don't know of any state where PAs legally function solo and without liability for anyone else.  Your supervising physician will always be liable to some extent for your actions.  As others have said, lots of red flags about this situation.  Did this doctor really emphasize the on your own part?  Because you need a supervising physician who you can contact whenever you need to because as a new grad you will need advice very often.  And really you need that supervision early on to learn by discussing patients every day.

Yes, this doctor really did emphasize the on your own part. He told me that he will not be reviewing my charts at all, and I will be working with my own license only - solo. The only support he can give me was I can call him and ask questions, but that's about it. 

Long story short. I turned down his offer, deleted his phone number from my call list, deleted his text messages to me, deleted his emails, and I didn't even respond to his last email to me. So far I have turned down three job offers because they were paying low salary/hourly rate and missing some benefits. 

Currently, I have one excellent offer right now in Ohio, and one interview with Cleveland Clinic in September. I also have two possible strong interviews in California and Alaska - because these two employers told me that they are going call me for an interview shortly once one of my references call them back (so I went ahead and gave them two additional references along with informing my current reference that was not calling them back). At the end, I will be alright. One thing I know for sure is that there are a lot of good jobs out there for PAs, so I am not going to have someone treat me like I am his or her bitch just because I am a new grad. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2017 at 4:15 PM, ArmyMan said:

I had an interview today with a Doctor that is affiliated with an Urgent Care with multiple locations within Ohio. This Urgent Care has multiple locations in Ohio, and I am looking for employment right now, but I don't know if this is the right for me. This is what I was told today: work four 12 hour shifts per week (total of 16 shifts per month), 80 hours paid time off, $ 1000 for CME, Malpractice is covered at 100%, paid health insurance, no on-call, two days of training and after then I am by my self but I can call and ask questions, written contract will be by email and contain less sentences, to complete my first 500 hours I have to work in the ED where there is a Doctors supervision, all billing and prescription will be written under my license when at the urgent care, wait time for patient cannot be more than 30 minutes, and they want to start me $45/hour?

Any suggestion please?

Don't do it!

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:03 AM, ArmyMan said:

Yes, this doctor really did emphasize the on your own part. He told me that he will not be reviewing my charts at all, and I will be working with my own license only - solo. The only support he can give me was I can call him and ask questions, but that's about it. 

Long story short. I turned down his offer, deleted his phone number from my call list, deleted his text messages to me, deleted his emails, and I didn't even respond to his last email to me. So far I have turned down three job offers because they were paying low salary/hourly rate and missing some benefits. 

Currently, I have one excellent offer right now in Ohio, and one interview with Cleveland Clinic in September. I also have two possible strong interviews in California and Alaska - because these two employers told me that they are going call me for an interview shortly once one of my references call them back (so I went ahead and gave them two additional references along with informing my current reference that was not calling them back). At the end, I will be alright. One thing I know for sure is that there are a lot of good jobs out there for PAs, so I am not going to have someone treat me like I am his or her bitch just because I am a new grad. 

How did the interviews go?

Archived