A Dangerous Juggling Act: Interviews vs Work

Hello all! I am writing today in hopes of gaining your esteemed advice, or at the very least, to commiserate together. I have been blessed enough to have received a few interviews this cycle, but unfortunately every time without fail they conflict with my work schedule. As I imagine most of us are still working whilst applying (EMT, CNA, etc etc) or are still in school, how have you managed to balance your work responsibilities with your interview aspirations? I absolutely understand what a chaotic time this is for the PA schools. Nevertheless, this often translates to less than a month's notice before the scheduled interview date. Not enough ahead of time to request off, and with each interview co-workers grow less and less likely to switch shifts with me at the hospital! Any advice is greatly appreciated! 

Congrats on the interviews! I would advice you to have open communication between yourself and your direct supervisor. If this person knows what program you are pursuing they may be supportive and work around your once and a life time chance interviews. Also do you have PTO or ESL? there are many organizations that allow you 3 days of personal time with no explanation needed. Research your policies and procedures.

As a direct report I appreciate when my staff is honest and communicates their needs even if it's last minute, we are on the same page. That is if they are in good standing and responsible employees.

hope that helps, good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

First of all, the advice above is good. Let someone at work know what you're trying to do.

Secondly, work with any school that calls to see if you can be in the next set of i terviews, if posible.

Third, remember your priorities. Lots of people need time of for personal matters. Assert yourself when necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guest HanSolo

You're future is as a PA, not a MA, EMT, CNA, whatever. Being open and honest is the best advice. If that doesn't work, then you need to do what is best for your future. 

I greatly appreciate the fabulous advice! It really helped me put things in prospective. I respect my superiors immensely so I often get frightened to inconvenience them. Nevertheless, I have worked for years to get to this point so I need to be more of my own advocate. Thank you for the helpful nudge! 

Archived