Question for EM/UC PAs

As an upcoming new grad, I am having a hard time finding positions that will take new graduates in the ED. Those who have started and transitioned from UC, did you find it easier to move to EM after some experience? I have an interview for an UC position coming up and have also applied to a few residency programs. One residency has gotten back to me that they plan to interview me. The only drawback is that it starts in February, so being that I graduate in August, I am not sure if it would be worth it to just wait and hope I would get in or just take an UC job and move up from there? 

I still apply to the EM jobs that state or don't state new grads (very rare) welcome, but have had no luck as of yet. I am applying pretty broadly, as in 3 states worth of searching and applying. I am on the eastern part of the US if that matters. Would appreciate any insight!

I went right into ED, but it was a small community ED and they started me in fast track and then let me jump to main side.  Doing UC for a year would for sure make you more appealing then a new grad.  I would 100% recommend doing the residency if you get in.  That one year in residency will prepare you above and beyond what a year in UC will or a even a year just jumping into an ED.  If you graduate in August, take the PANCE, get licensed and everything, that is going to take you through September and likely October.  So, you probably couldn't even get working until November in private clinic.  If part of a health care system and you need to go through credentialing, then add another 1-2 month.  So, you could be looking at Jan before starting some jobs. 

Archived