Voc Rehab

For those of you who have filed for VA compensation then subsequently applied for vocational rehab (chapter 31 benefits), how long did the process take? I am still a reserve PJ and have taken my bumps and bruises over the last six years. I am not broken like some of my brothers but I do believe I might rate at 10% or higher which would leave me eligible for Chapter 31. I am deploying soon and will return this fall, matriculating in January to PA school. Knowing the speed the VA moves would it be possible to work with a Veteran Service Organization (VSO) while overseas to get the ball rolling, knocking out my claim and filing before January or is it a complete pipedream? 

11 hours ago, Boatswain2PA said:

8404...... <2 months from applying for VR?  Or <2 months after applying for VA benefits?

If it took you <2 months I'm guessing you were already rated disabled.

When applying for VR I already had my disability rating for a couple of years. From initial application for VR to being approved for entitlement was around 2 months. I think it took a month for them to give me an appointment and that appointment was almost a month after receiving the letter. They will ***usually*** determine your entitlement there on the spot of your appointment. 

my story is a little more complicated than this and slightly different from the norm. You can avoid this by simply applying for VR in the state that your program is in. (TN is difficult to be found entitled)

It is a very simple process now. If you have a VA rating, go on ebenefits and apply for Voc Rehab. They get back to you fairly quickly. It is best (in my opinion) to already be accepted to a PA program prior to sitting down with the Voc Rehab counselor. They will establish a need for the program by evaluating certain factors such as how your disability is affecting your current work and employability. After that is reviewed, the decision is pretty quick. It has been (in my experience) a pretty good VA program, and that is saying a lot. Hope that helps. PM me if you have any questions. 

19 hours ago, smiththrs said:

My main concern going through Voc Rehab is them telling me I cannot do PA school due to having an amputation and a combat stress rating. 

Not their choice. It's if they find you entitled or not to the benefits, not the career. That said, have you talked to PA programs about having an amputation? Probably only a concern if its an upper extremity and then that's up to the school. Reason is competencies. ARC-PA which is the accrediting PA program agency requires that each student graduates by set standards. Can you complete a surgical rotation assisting and standing for 8 hours? can you suture and perform procedures? If you can than there's no reasons for you not to become a kick-ass PA

3 hours ago, 8404PA said:

Not their choice. It's if they find you entitled or not to the benefits, not the career. That said, have you talked to PA programs about having an amputation? Probably only a concern if its an upper extremity and then that's up to the school. Reason is competencies. ARC-PA which is the accrediting PA program agency requires that each student graduates by set standards. Can you complete a surgical rotation assisting and standing for 8 hours? can you suture and perform procedures? If you can than there's no reasons for you not to become a kick-ass PA

I would say its easier to stand for 8 hours post bka than before hahaha so thanks brother. 

Archived