Which is more noteworthy to adcoms?

which is the better way to go? 

a. Retake General Chemistry I with Lab (5 credits) at a local junior college ( because I got C in it first time around at University and B in Gen CHEM II). 

OR

Take the graduate level course Pathophysiology w Lab I (4 credits) at my university. (Note this is in addition to A&P I and II i already did).

Note:  I can't take them both because the schedules clash.

Is is it better to retake a common prerequisite at the Community college level? Or take a graduate level bio course of choice at the University level?  I don't wanna look like I'm too scared to take it at a university again when it's just a matter of scheduling. 

I have a BS biology (3.3 sGPA and cGPA) so I have Biochem and Lab (As) and organic CHEM (Bs) under my belt. the Chemistry requirement for the programs I'm interested in is usually biochem. 

2200+ PCE

550 volunteer and community service 

35 shadowing 

great LORs from APNs and CHEM PhD. 

Any thoughts on which class to choose?

This is just me talking:

Your C in chem 1 is probably from your freshman year. Your follow-on grades in chem 2, organic, and biochem were better. To me, your chem 1 is an aberration and improving on it is probably less of a priority.

I'm a big believer in taking pathophysiology and doing well at it, whether it's a graduate or an undergraduate course. It is a bedrock of PA education even though it's seldom a prereq.

Your GPA is kind of middle of the road but you are unlikely to change it much at this point. You should get some interviews, depending on your GREs, LORs, and essay. After that, it will depend on how you come across on interviews.

Good luck!

If you haven't taken regular human pathophysiology (different from A&P), then i would consider doing that at a junior college because I don't think a graduate course would be more noteworthy than any other extra science classes. Besides, they wouldn't know you chose not to do graduate classes and it might be in your favor to save money by taking lower science classes at your junior college then paying out of pocket expenses for graduate coursework that would do nothing more than earning a pat on the back. You may even do bad at a graduate level course, and that could look bad. I would try taking science classes you missed: nutrition, microbiology, human pathophysiology, pharmacology, all at the undergraduate junior college level. These could boost your GPA, too. I wouldn't even worry about retaking chemistry because a C is okay and its not like you are replacing an F. You should just pursue more classes, possibly even get a certificate that can be applicable to both science credits and allow you to gain valuable patient care. My CNA course was 6 credits and it counts as a science class. 

1 hour ago, MyNameWasUsed said:

i would retake the class and get an A. I really doubt any of my 400 level biochem classes made a difference on my application. I would be surprised if adcoms even look that in depth into your transcript. Like are they really gonna look at individual classes for hundreds of transcripts/applicants? 

I thought programs spent a good amount of time looking over applications at least in the beginning of the cycle when there's less applications to review.

On 7/11/2017 at 7:06 PM, ilygurlie said:

I thought programs spent a good amount of time looking over applications at least in the beginning of the cycle when there's less applications to review.

But to scan each individual class, take note of that, and somehow weigh that into your overall application in a fair way for each applicant? Idk man doesn't sound feasible to me 

Archived