Verbal Score Under 50th, Worried GRE Score

Hello, 

I'm currently applying to a few PA schools and am worried about my GRE score.  

My verbal is low- 148 (38th percentile), quantitative- 159 (73rd percentile), and analytical- 4.0 (59th percentile). 

If I am planning on applying to a couple competitive schools like Duke and George Washington, would it be better to retake to get a higher verbal score? Which score is more important the verbal or quant? 

I have over 1000 hours of direct patient care from medical volunteer trips as well as working as a PCT and 1000 hours in general HCE, volunteering and shadowing. My overall is 3.79 (unsure about science gpa but majored in Biology). 

I really appreciate any feedback! Thanks so much!

Although there's no minimum GRE score to apply for Duke, they do post what is considered competitive on their FAQ. The 50th percentile of accepted applicants ranged from 155-161 for the Verbal section for my incoming class. Because Duke does a holistic review of your application, you having a Verbal score below that range does not put you out of the running. At least for Duke, all sections of the GRE are equally important. From my experiences from applying, I believe many others view it that way too. 

You just need to be strong in other aspects of your application like your PS, letters of rec, leadership, supplemental essays, etc. The year I applied had around 2700 applicants. Only 250 were given interviews. You need to stand out and you're the best person to determine how you can do that. 

Archived