Another change once again!

I appreciate everyone seeing me change stuff around haha. So, I have to give credit to UGoLong for making me think about it. I had some of my classes out of order, pre-reqs wise. So, I went back and fixed that, and I figured on the app cycles. If I were to go part time (8-9 cred/sem) and working full time as an emt (no part time at my agency) I'd finish spring 2020 and apply for the 2021 cycle. Or I could do part time er tech on the weekends and keep up with the full time schedule, and apply for the 2020 cycle. Since I'm taking my GRE in august, it'll be good for 4 years at some schools, and if I didn't get in the first year I'd want to feel safe for another year. If I would do the part time way and apply in 2021, I'd only have one shot for it to work unless I retook the GRE so it didn't expire. Anyway, I feel better about this plan. The programs I'm applying to don't require the O chem but my degree does (general bio major) so it can only help, as well as the biochem, I guess. Anyway, feel free to give input as always!

PS the summer is 2 sessions which each last about 5 weeks, so I'd be doing 7 credits each summer session.  Also, I can probably apply to most programs for the 2019 cycle, actually, because the only thing left in 2019 is the biochem, and some of the programs I've selected don't require that, but I have everything else put down before that cycle. That's why I double stuffed that fall 2018 semester and left biochem in spring 2019.

post-135920-0-91887200-1497747829_thumb.png

It's not easy to do, but remember that if you don't perform incredibly well in all of your classes it won't matter how fast you finish them. You have a LOT of credits to fit into 5 semesters. Also, remember that some summer classes can be added to CASPA if you spread it out a little. i.e. Micro and Med term taken over summer 2019 or something. Your university advising office will probably be more helpful with this

• Administrator

You're gonna kill yourself in the Fall with Orgo2, genetics, micro and A&P2. I highly recommend you think long and hard about changing that if those classes are anywhere near as difficult as they were at my school. 

I have heard multiple people say that OChem 2 is easier than 1.  Generics is a walk in the park.  Microbiology was fun, and A&P 2 should just be a continuation of A&P 1.  Yes, that would be a hard schedule to keep up if you have a full time job, but it should be doable on <= 20 hours per week.

I have heard multiple people say that OChem 2 is easier than 1.  Generics is a walk in the park.  Microbiology was fun, and A&P 2 should just be a continuation of A&P 1.  Yes, that would be a hard schedule to keep up if you have a full time job, but it should be doable on <= 20 hours per week.

I had the same kind of thoughts, plus it would prepare me for the intensity in PA school. So, yea, it's kind of punishing but it could be a good prep for the future?

Course difficulty varies from school to school. I can only say that at my school, that schedule would be incredibly difficult even while working only part-time. Many students here take Orgo 2 as a stand alone class due to the difficulty. Perhaps UNCC is more forgiving or whatever. ilygurlie apparently managed a class load like that with no problem. As Rev said, A&P and Micro are not difficult but will take time away from orgo and genetics (side note, my genetics class was not a walk in the park haha). 

Also, no offense intended but it appears that you haven't taken the lower level bio and chem classes yet...Many students figure out that upper science isn't for them while taking chem 1 and 2/bio1 and 2. I bring this up only to suggest that plans can change and you don't need to lay out everything in stone because things most likely will change as you progress through your classes. I would see if your school has a pre-health advising service and talk to them about your plan and whether your course load would be too much.

Course difficulty varies from school to school. I can only say that at my school, that schedule would be incredibly difficult even while working only part-time. Many students here take Orgo 2 as a stand alone class due to the difficulty. Perhaps UNCC is more forgiving or whatever. ilygurlie apparently managed a class load like that with no problem. As Rev said, A&P and Micro are not difficult but will take time away from orgo and genetics (side note, my genetics class was not a walk in the park haha). 

Also, no offense intended but it appears that you haven't taken the lower level bio and chem classes yet...Many students figure out that upper science isn't for them while taking chem 1 and 2/bio1 and 2. I bring this up only to suggest that plans can change and you don't need to lay out everything in stone because things most likely will change as you progress through your classes. I would see if your school has a pre-health advising service and talk to them about your plan and whether your course load would be too much.

Well, I went to a really challenging undergrad before taking classes at that particular college. I would maybe take orgo 2 with another science and that's completely it at my old undergrad, but there are huge variances in difficulty levels at different colleges. I had a poor bio background as well, so I say with dedication and hard work it is possible. 

I'm at the point where I should just say to heck with it and go full time with the ems agency and do the part time (8-9 cred/sem) until I graduate in 2020 and apply for 2021 lol. So, the fall 2017 semester stays the same no matter what, but i go back to the agency in december full time, so what do y'all think ha. This is all helpful.. I'm taking it all in

I have no problem with that. I guess I'm just worried that if I don't get in on that first attempt, my GRE score for some schools will be no good anymore. So if I'm working full time with my current agency, 9-11 credits at most? 

Yes. Especially if you are just feeling out the general chem/bios first. The upper level courses are generally much easier do study for IMO. I would say three science courses max if you are starting out.

Archived