GRE stuff

So I have about a year or so before I'll be taking it but I want to have a good grasp on what to expect from those that have taken it and remember what it was life. I have taken all the way up to calc 3, but after a while when you don't use that stuff daily anymore it kind of goes out the window lol. Also, the verbal skills... I've looked at some of the example questions and I had never seen those big words in my life! I consider myself quite intelligent but I do feel kind of worried about this now! ha. Any advice will help! Thanks! 

So I have about a year or so before I'll be taking it but I want to have a good grasp on what to expect from those that have taken it and remember what it was life. I have taken all the way up to calc 3, but after a while when you don't use that stuff daily anymore it kind of goes out the window lol. Also, the verbal skills... I've looked at some of the example questions and I had never seen those big words in my life! I consider myself quite intelligent but I do feel kind of worried about this now! ha. Any advice will help! Thanks!

I recently took the GRE. The math portion had a lot of algebra, percentage, and fraction problems

The verbal portion had sections that were 3 blank, 2 blank, and 1 blank fill in.

There were two timed writing sections that had almost a full passage to read and were argumentive

last section had about 5 different passages and multiple choice questions pertaining to the specific sentences in the passage

Math portion was the hardest for me. Basic Jr high Algebra

Use Magoosh prep, they have a great vocabulary app and on the go tutorials

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I just bought a plain old Kaplan GRE review book.  Spent a very light 3 weeks with it and had no issues with the test.  GRE is more about test taking than knowledge.  What is the question asking you and what basic skills are they trying to get you to use?

I worked through a Princeton Review book.  I didn't buy it - I went to Barnes and Noble a few times a week for 2 weeks.  The test was really straight forward.

Like posters have mentioned above, the content is fairly basic.  It's more about knowing how to answer the questions and take the test.

Guest HanSolo

I'd also suggest finding computer tests to practice with. I find my mind processes questions very differently reading questions on a computer screen versus in a book or on paper. 

I'd also suggest finding computer tests to practice with. I find my mind processes questions very differently reading questions on a computer screen versus in a book or on paper. 

I agree 100%. I bought a Kaplan prep book and learned the content fairly well (really, taking College Algebra helped me a LOT with the math sections). But the biggest thing that hindered me was not practicing on an actual computer module. My mind felt a lot more sluggish during the actual test because it was a surprisingly different experience absorbing the information from a screen compared to a book. The weird computer calculator also tripped me up a lot for some reason, so I had to do a lot of handwritten calculations. Luckily, I did fine (but just barely). Anyway, definitely practice on a computer!

I am on week 20 of the Magoosh 6 month advance math study plan and have really improved (if anyone reading this has gotten above a 330 please send me some tips haha). I found Magoosh to be the most affordable and best for self study. Check it out and keep an eye out for discounted prices for their online test prep. I purchased 6 months when it was discounted to $99 and then emailed them later to get the additional 2 months I needed for free. There are also study guides for shorter amounts of time if you don't want to dedicate half a year to this test. I like the torture of standardize testing and have the time.

https://magoosh.com/gre/2011/6-month-gre-study-plan/

Like others have said, the GRE is very, very straight forward. If you did fine on the ACT, you'll do fine on the GRE (in fact... you'll probably even do better since grammar isn't tested). 

Review the more common angle theorems, and probably a lot of geometry as well. 

By far the most difficult portion for me was the Quantitative Comparison sections of the math test. The questions will give you a scenario and say:

A. Quantity A is greater.

B. Quantity B is greater.

C. The two quantities are equal.

D. The relationship cannot be determined from the information given. 

Some of the scenarios are quite confusing and they're very theoretical so it usually isn't possible to just plug and chug quickly to evaluate the comparisons. 

Edit: I deleted what I originally wrote about the GRE being question adaptive. I think I was talking about the old GRE... the new version is adaptive by section. Since you get two math sections and two verbal sections, your performance on the first section of math will determine if you get a harder or easier version for the second section. I guess each section individually is static now. 

Magoosh has explanations, videos, an app with a vocab builder game, and many many practice questions for both verbal and math. Skip the books and just get Magoosh. I bought all the books, the ETS power prep pack and Magoosh (never touched the books) and scored very well. Most schools are looking for > 300 and a 4 in writing. Magoosh also has great insight on the writing portion too.

I personally cannot comment on any of those reviews actually. I used Barron's and got: verbal 162 (90%), math 156 (63%), analytical writing 6.0 (99%). I thought they did a fine job of covering all of the material. Like I said earlier, I reallllly struggled with the quantitative comparisons and I actually skipped those reviews because I didn't think it was too difficult of a topic. I think that's what brought my math score down significantly. 

I didn't use flashcards for any vocab review and didn't do any writing practice because I attended a liberal arts college and I actually managed our writing center. As a result, all of that was kind of continuously reinforced and I didn't feel it required any review. 

I'm not sure if there are pictures online somewhere, or if some of the online simulated tests use the same calculator as the actual GRE, but try and get an idea of what is all available on the calculator. From what I remember, it is very rudimentary and it was kind of cumbersome to use - something to be aware of if you're racing the clock. 

It sounds kind of weird to say when you think about it, but I'm going with Magoosh! Haha maybe it's just me. But I really appreciate everyone's help! I test on the 17th of august, not the 3rd so I have 3+ months to kick this thing's butt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best of luck to you! 

I think one of the weirdest things is just taking the GRE at a testing center in general. You'll have people around you taking the MCAT, the DAT, licensing exams, etc. So if people are getting up to leave at different times, don't take it as an indicator that you're going too slow or something. And follow the proctor's instructions very, very carefully. I actually saw two students taking the MCAT have their exams voided... that probably severely damaged their timeline for applying to medical schools. 

The best of luck to you! 

I think one of the weirdest things is just taking the GRE at a testing center in general. You'll have people around you taking the MCAT, the DAT, licensing exams, etc. So if people are getting up to leave at different times, don't take it as an indicator that you're going too slow or something. And follow the proctor's instructions very, very carefully. I actually saw two students taking the MCAT have their exams voided... that probably severely damaged their timeline for applying to medical schools. 

Woah, that's all stuff I had no idea about! I listen to instructions very well and I take this very seriously. I'm actually starting on this whole studying process just a little tonight, but then every day I will be on it even more. I'm going to make a planner and get it all down pat way before the test so I feel comfortable even a week before the exam. I'll keep y'all updated! I'm actually glad I found something really productive to do with my summer because I was getting fidgety ha. Thanks again for all the help, y'all! Can't wait to be the one mentoring others on their journey!

Archived