Recent college graduate, need a medical job that doesn't require certification

[TABLE=class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=class: alt1]I'm going to be applying to PA school next year. As you may know, most PA schools recommend ~2000 hours of hands-on work with patients in the medical field. So starting in the summer, I need to find a job to work at for a year that gets me these hours. What are my options? What jobs can I do with a B.S. and no certifications? Are there any jobs whose certifications are easy to obtain? Thank you.

P.S. I am aware of CNA, but it is basically my last-choice option, as the work involved doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=class: alt1]P.S. I am aware of CNA, but it is basically my last-choice option, as the work involved doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Please do a search - there was just a thread on a topic similar to this.

http://www.PhysicianAssistantForum.Com/forums/showthread.php/34114-Health-Care-Experiences-ER-Intake/page1

In regards to the "What can I do with my Bachelors?" question:

1) In general, it would help to know what your degree is in...

2) However, it shouldn't really matter... Just because you have a degree doesn't mean it's okay for you to be responsible for (and to put your hands on) patients. That's a huge liability few places are going to let you take on. Unless they're training you to be a medical assistant and they do not require any certification (these exist, but they're uncommon from what I see).

3) If some jobs don't appeal to you right off the bat, I think you've got a hard road. Not everything you do in health care will be pretty and has a fairy tale ending. I suggest taking some time to shadow and volunteer, to get an idea of what to expect... and perhaps to gain some appreciation...

Oh god... where do these people come from.

SDN? I figure some of these folks were keyed up for med school which doesn't care much about HCE, then they got rejected, and are forced to decide "what else can I do with my medical science heavy degree?" it's presumptuous, I know, but I feel like a honey badger tonight. And you know what honey badger thinks.

• 2 weeks later...

1) What about CNA doesn't appeal to you?

2) Why do you want to be a PA? Have you seen them in action?

3) (rant) Using phrasing like "easy to obtain"" can set you up to receive critiques on attitude. I don't know if your wording or your attitude is off, but many (most/all) of the people on this forum with a PA-S or PA-C by their name didn't get there by looking for the easy way and usually don't like others trying that approach. People like us (applicants) do well to be aware of how we present ourselves. (/rant)

Archived