Health Care Experiences - ER Intake?

I've been browsing several forum threads, including the statistic ones regarding applications. I am getting slightly concerned because I don't have any accumulated health care experience, direct nor indirect, and I was curious to know if there have been cases where "direct care experience" didn't really matter with applications? For instance, if someone worked as an ER intake representative (which would probably be more along the lines of indirect,) do you think working in that position along with shadowing, could get someone into PA school? I understand there are a lot of factors into committee choices. I am just trying to gauge some jobs which I consider appropriate to apply to. I am not really big into the certification positions since I need to accumulate time in a very fast and efficient way if I want to make it for this application cycle.

And yes, I am aware of the search bar and the fact that PA is generally a secondary profession for many people. Not all of us want to travel the same traditional route though, so please keep that in mind.

Also if anyone has ever worked as an ER intake representative, I'd appreciate knowing if you actually had time for any patient care duties, even if only minuscule ones.

I've been browsing several forum threads, including the statistic ones regarding applications. I am getting slightly concerned because I don't have any accumulated health care experience, direct nor indirect, and I was curious to know if there have been cases where "direct care experience" didn't really matter with applications? For instance, if someone worked as an ER intake representative (which would probably be more along the lines of indirect,) do you think working in that position along with shadowing, could get someone into PA school? I understand there are a lot of factors into committee choices. I am just trying to gauge some jobs which I consider appropriate to apply to. I am not really big into the certification positions since I need to accumulate time in a very fast and efficient way if I want to make it for this application cycle.

And yes, I am aware of the search bar and the fact that PA is generally a secondary profession for many people. Not all of us want to travel the same traditional route though, so please keep that in mind.

Also if anyone has ever worked as an ER intake representative, I'd appreciate knowing if you actually had time for any patient care duties, even if only minuscule ones.

I never worked as an ED intake, but I work with and am friends with a few. Generally at my hospital they take care of asking patients demographic and insurance information. They do not work with patients in any type of care related role. While working as an ED intake will at least expose you to the medical field, at least consider picking up a CNA or EMT cert to enable yourself to really be involved in the care of patients. Healthcare isn't for everyone; if you don't like patient care you're better off finding that out as a CNA than a second year PA student.

I never worked as an ED intake, but I work with and am friends with a few. Generally at my hospital they take care of asking patients demographic and insurance information. They do not work with patients in any type of care related role. While working as an ED intake will at least expose you to the medical field, at least consider picking up a CNA or EMT cert to enable yourself to really be involved in the care of patients. Healthcare isn't for everyone; if you don't like patient care you're better off finding that out as a CNA than a second year PA student.

Healthcare isn't for everyone; if you don't like patient care you're better off finding that out as a CNA than a second year PA student.

I am disappointed at comments like this, claiming that if you don't clean sheets/linens, clean excrement of any sort, or stock towels, you're not "cut out for healthcare". Honestly, its difficult to even draw comparisons between a CNA and a PA or MD. So saying a bold statement like that is pretty off putting.

I was simply looking for information on non-traditional pathways for exposing myself to the health care requirement.

Healthcare isn't for everyone; if you don't like patient care you're better off finding that out as a CNA than a second year PA student.

I am disappointed at comments like this, claiming that if you don't clean sheets/linens, clean excrement of any sort, or stock towels, you're not "cut out for healthcare". Honestly, its difficult to even draw comparisons between a CNA and a PA or MD. So saying a bold statement like that is pretty off putting.

I was simply looking for information on non-traditional pathways for exposing myself to the health care requirement.

I am disappointed at comments like this, claiming that if you don't clean sheets/linens, clean excrement of any sort, or stock towels, you're not "cut out for healthcare".

....WOW! First I think you've misinterpreted what I said. My point is, plenty of people go to school for MD, DO, PA, RN, RT, etc, only to realize they hated it. Makes sense to me to want to "kick the tires" so to speak in order to determine if healthcare is for you. Personally, I'd rather spend $500 on a CNA or EMT certification and find out I hate patient care, versus $50,000+ on a PA degree and hate what I do. And as to the "cleaning and wiping excrement", that really shows your complete lack of knowledge of the field; that was truly a bold, insulting comment. CNA's take vitals, pass meds, and make sure the patient's basic needs are met, which is FUNDAMENTAL patient care. EMT's commonly work in emergency departments and some are trained to place IV's. It would be best to actually research before you make such statements.

I am disappointed at comments like this, claiming that if you don't clean sheets/linens, clean excrement of any sort, or stock towels, you're not "cut out for healthcare".

....WOW! First I think you've misinterpreted what I said. My point is, plenty of people go to school for MD, DO, PA, RN, RT, etc, only to realize they hated it. Makes sense to me to want to "kick the tires" so to speak in order to determine if healthcare is for you. Personally, I'd rather spend $500 on a CNA or EMT certification and find out I hate patient care, versus $50,000+ on a PA degree and hate what I do. And as to the "cleaning and wiping excrement", that really shows your complete lack of knowledge of the field; that was truly a bold, insulting comment. CNA's take vitals, pass meds, and make sure the patient's basic needs are met, which is FUNDAMENTAL patient care. EMT's commonly work in emergency departments and some are trained to place IV's. It would be best to actually research before you make such statements.

As far as getting experience without a certification, it is hard, but not impossible. Look at your local Craigslist under the medical/health section, there are non-certified medical assistant positions out there and other assistant roles that DO involve direct patient care experience. It just takes quite a bit of patience and looking. I tried for the CNA route by taking a course and had a really tough time finding a position, even at nursing homes, they wanted at least 6 months of experience. After trying for several months to find a CNA job I lucked out and found an assistant position that enabled me to do physical therapy aide type duties along with observing an MD and FNP in the office. Good luck!

As far as getting experience without a certification, it is hard, but not impossible. Look at your local Craigslist under the medical/health section, there are non-certified medical assistant positions out there and other assistant roles that DO involve direct patient care experience. It just takes quite a bit of patience and looking. I tried for the CNA route by taking a course and had a really tough time finding a position, even at nursing homes, they wanted at least 6 months of experience. After trying for several months to find a CNA job I lucked out and found an assistant position that enabled me to do physical therapy aide type duties along with observing an MD and FNP in the office. Good luck!

I've actually been looking for MA positions that will train/certify while working. I seem to have the exact opposite problem that you had. There are plenty of CNA positions (which I am not that fond of or interested in) but absolutely zero MA.

I've actually been looking for MA positions that will train/certify while working. I seem to have the exact opposite problem that you had. There are plenty of CNA positions (which I am not that fond of or interested in) but absolutely zero MA.

Sensitive much? You may want to consider easing up a bit. That reply was not malicious or disrespectful. In fact, it is pretty solid reasoning.

For me, it's tough to think of a "non traditional" path to evidence based medicine, which is what PA programs are structured around. I realize you have already tuned me out, but I like listening to myself type so I'll explain why I think it's tough...

When I think of non traditional, I think of accu-puncture, massage, chiropractor, doula, midwife, etc. Those fields of medicine sit constantly under the scrutiny of certifying medical boards to ensure they are somehow beneficial to a patient and as a result, their cohorts really push to ensure their peers have gone through all sorts of certifying steps. That shoots your plan to skip any sort of certifications.

Then there is social work, mental health counseling, dental technician, dietician, physical therapist, personal trainer, again, all certified, educated roles that take time to be trained in.

I suppose there could be a role in Research and Development, but PAs are more of a bedside kin vs. a lab based group.

Practitioners of evidence based medicine have a fetish for the traditional approach. Evidence is derived from oft repeated treatment regimes that have traditionally worked. Applicants who are resistant to tradition stand the risk of being scrutinized as "rebels" or "non conformists". In order to convince the main body of your peers that you are indeed worthy to wear a white coat without going through any sort of traditional educational process, you would have to be able to talk a smooth game. Your reaction to the first answer to your post reveals that perhaps you are not yet polished in the art of communication. (nor do I claim to be..remember, this ramble is just an exercise in typing)

I honestly can't think of a job that will let you develop hands on patient care experience without any formal training, that is not of the MA/CNA magnitude. Perhaps you can share with us why you are not enamored with the idea of being a CNA so perhaps we can get a better idea of your personality, and thus making it easier to point you in a more appropriate direction?

Now...all that being said...only about 40% of PA schools require direct patient care. There have been many PAs trained who never touched a patient until they were already a student. Some schools are a direct pipeline...undergrad straight to grad. So yes, as much of a travesty that I think it is, you can get into PA school with no health care experience.

Sensitive much? You may want to consider easing up a bit. That reply was not malicious or disrespectful. In fact, it is pretty solid reasoning.

For me, it's tough to think of a "non traditional" path to evidence based medicine, which is what PA programs are structured around. I realize you have already tuned me out, but I like listening to myself type so I'll explain why I think it's tough...

When I think of non traditional, I think of accu-puncture, massage, chiropractor, doula, midwife, etc. Those fields of medicine sit constantly under the scrutiny of certifying medical boards to ensure they are somehow beneficial to a patient and as a result, their cohorts really push to ensure their peers have gone through all sorts of certifying steps. That shoots your plan to skip any sort of certifications.

Then there is social work, mental health counseling, dental technician, dietician, physical therapist, personal trainer, again, all certified, educated roles that take time to be trained in.

I suppose there could be a role in Research and Development, but PAs are more of a bedside kin vs. a lab based group.

Practitioners of evidence based medicine have a fetish for the traditional approach. Evidence is derived from oft repeated treatment regimes that have traditionally worked. Applicants who are resistant to tradition stand the risk of being scrutinized as "rebels" or "non conformists". In order to convince the main body of your peers that you are indeed worthy to wear a white coat without going through any sort of traditional educational process, you would have to be able to talk a smooth game. Your reaction to the first answer to your post reveals that perhaps you are not yet polished in the art of communication. (nor do I claim to be..remember, this ramble is just an exercise in typing)

I honestly can't think of a job that will let you develop hands on patient care experience without any formal training, that is not of the MA/CNA magnitude. Perhaps you can share with us why you are not enamored with the idea of being a CNA so perhaps we can get a better idea of your personality, and thus making it easier to point you in a more appropriate direction?

Now...all that being said...only about 40% of PA schools require direct patient care. There have been many PAs trained who never touched a patient until they were already a student. Some schools are a direct pipeline...undergrad straight to grad. So yes, as much of a travesty that I think it is, you can get into PA school with no health care experience.

Your reaction to the first answer to your post reveals that perhaps you are not yet polished in the art of communication. (nor do I claim to be..remember, this ramble is just an exercise in typing.

First, thanks for your reply. This is what I was looking for in the beginning. I was moderately annoyed because I've seen plenty of "Get a CNA/EMT/PCA" job already on the forums. As I stated, I don't really have time to do the long certification routes. EMT takes three to eight months depending on what level you certify for here. So I admit the answer was a bit brash, but like I said, I didn't want that standard answer.

Quite truthfully, the area that I am in doesn't cater towards the vital/diagnostic/charting CNA as much as I'd like. To be honest, if I could find a CNA position that just did vitals and charting I'd probably eat it up in a heartbeat. I am in a rural area with only three major hospitals. Those that I do know who have certifications in CNA really hate their jobs. Mainly, I hear them complain about the somewhat unsavory tasks that are required of them and it is a huge turn off. For specifics, a family member CNA works at a nursing home (not a hospital where the tasks may and probably are significantly different) where her primary job is literally to ensure the beds are clean, as well as rolling patients for bed sore prevention and getting them "right for the day." In addition to similar stories from other friends, you can then add the internet research (which exaggerates frequently) which unfortunately supports those specifics.

I don't want to get certified and spend money to essentially make a bed, dress patients, feed them, and basically do the tasks that I feel I am "overqualified" for. Please don't misread that as "I feel more important or entitled to anything." I just feel that academically my knowledge should qualify me for a different position, one that constantly takes vitals, monitors charts, even reading xrays. I have read charts before, spun blood, performed and interpreted EKG's, determined what type of medication is for x disorder/ailment, x-ray interpretation, etc... and yes all of that has been done under the guise and comfort of academia. I am clearly not trained in any manner to practice health care however and nor should I be in any position that does -- hence trying to get into PA school and finding an appropriate position where I feel valued for my experiences (and quite honestly, valued for my degree.)

I have my BS already in Bio (pre-pro/minor health science) so the undergrad pipeline isn't an option. Truthfully if I had known about those programs upon entering college I would have been more apt to apply to them. As far as 40% of schools requiring direct patient care. I don't really know where you pulled that information from. There are two spreadsheets floating around these forums about tuition, colleges, direct health care requirement, GRE requirement, etc. Your 40% seems like it should be turned around -- 40% that DO NOT require and 60% do. I consider "recommended/suggested" as pretty much "required" as anything. Especially when you look at the threads regarding application success factors and what schools the applicants applied to.

Finally, most of the schools that I have on my top 10 list don't take "alternative medical care" like you mentioned above as experience. It might help, but I doubt it.

Hope this helps you evaluate my situation a bit further, and thank you for your post, it was closer to what I was hoping for in the first place rather than "get a CNA/EMT cert."

--------

Editing post to include previous posts.

each school has different standards as far as what they want out of thier applicants. if you do research, you'll find that there are many schools that dont require any direct patient care. so in the cases where you are applying to schools where that doesnt matter to them, then you will be more successful. if you apply to a place like University of Washington, or U of Utah, where they have established standards for hours of direct patient care, as well as criteria. it all comes down to the school and where they place emphasis. for schools that could care less about health care experience (HCE), they usually want really good grades as a tradeoff for thier applicants with the expectation that that will provide added ability to perform well.

Utah is required. University of Washington requires HCE as well. I am glad you pointed that out though that certain programs are catered to giving experience rather than already having it. They are really far and few however. Seeing someone else saying it is a lot more beneficial than just "thinking" it on my own however. I do have a few schools picked out (I thought Utah was one but I had to double check, and apparently it is required).

to reiterate.... a school that places emphasis on direct patient care probably wont be interested in you. a school that doesnt care about that will be fine with looking at you as an applicant if if appeal to whatever else they are looking for. find those schools, and you will be positioned best.

Do you really see or hear of applicants with no experience though? This might be a skewed representation of applicants due to well.. trying to over-achieve and doing everything possible, including browsing forums to gain better insight. From what I've read, the chances are basically non-existent without HCE.

you may not want to travel the traditional route, but then why ask people who went that route about exceptions to it. if thats the way that they feel is best, it seems strange to ask them about ways to skirt that approach. you may want to be a PA, but i dont think you are in a position to expect to do it solely on your own terms.

I don't intend to have everything go my way, I think that is unrealistic in anything you choose to do. You do have some... sway though as to how you approach things for what you feel is best.

Finally,

and we can discuss ad nauseum what kind of pa you will or won't be in the long run.....

Been discussed in other threads, please not here =(

Your reaction to the first answer to your post reveals that perhaps you are not yet polished in the art of communication. (nor do I claim to be..remember, this ramble is just an exercise in typing.

First, thanks for your reply. This is what I was looking for in the beginning. I was moderately annoyed because I've seen plenty of "Get a CNA/EMT/PCA" job already on the forums. As I stated, I don't really have time to do the long certification routes. EMT takes three to eight months depending on what level you certify for here. So I admit the answer was a bit brash, but like I said, I didn't want that standard answer.

Quite truthfully, the area that I am in doesn't cater towards the vital/diagnostic/charting CNA as much as I'd like. To be honest, if I could find a CNA position that just did vitals and charting I'd probably eat it up in a heartbeat. I am in a rural area with only three major hospitals. Those that I do know who have certifications in CNA really hate their jobs. Mainly, I hear them complain about the somewhat unsavory tasks that are required of them and it is a huge turn off. For specifics, a family member CNA works at a nursing home (not a hospital where the tasks may and probably are significantly different) where her primary job is literally to ensure the beds are clean, as well as rolling patients for bed sore prevention and getting them "right for the day." In addition to similar stories from other friends, you can then add the internet research (which exaggerates frequently) which unfortunately supports those specifics.

I don't want to get certified and spend money to essentially make a bed, dress patients, feed them, and basically do the tasks that I feel I am "overqualified" for. Please don't misread that as "I feel more important or entitled to anything." I just feel that academically my knowledge should qualify me for a different position, one that constantly takes vitals, monitors charts, even reading xrays. I have read charts before, spun blood, performed and interpreted EKG's, determined what type of medication is for x disorder/ailment, x-ray interpretation, etc... and yes all of that has been done under the guise and comfort of academia. I am clearly not trained in any manner to practice health care however and nor should I be in any position that does -- hence trying to get into PA school and finding an appropriate position where I feel valued for my experiences (and quite honestly, valued for my degree.)

I have my BS already in Bio (pre-pro/minor health science) so the undergrad pipeline isn't an option. Truthfully if I had known about those programs upon entering college I would have been more apt to apply to them. As far as 40% of schools requiring direct patient care. I don't really know where you pulled that information from. There are two spreadsheets floating around these forums about tuition, colleges, direct health care requirement, GRE requirement, etc. Your 40% seems like it should be turned around -- 40% that DO NOT require and 60% do. I consider "recommended/suggested" as pretty much "required" as anything. Especially when you look at the threads regarding application success factors and what schools the applicants applied to.

Finally, most of the schools that I have on my top 10 list don't take "alternative medical care" like you mentioned above as experience. It might help, but I doubt it.

Hope this helps you evaluate my situation a bit further, and thank you for your post, it was closer to what I was hoping for in the first place rather than "get a CNA/EMT cert."

--------

Editing post to include previous posts.

each school has different standards as far as what they want out of thier applicants. if you do research, you'll find that there are many schools that dont require any direct patient care. so in the cases where you are applying to schools where that doesnt matter to them, then you will be more successful. if you apply to a place like University of Washington, or U of Utah, where they have established standards for hours of direct patient care, as well as criteria. it all comes down to the school and where they place emphasis. for schools that could care less about health care experience (HCE), they usually want really good grades as a tradeoff for thier applicants with the expectation that that will provide added ability to perform well.

Utah is required. University of Washington requires HCE as well. I am glad you pointed that out though that certain programs are catered to giving experience rather than already having it. They are really far and few however. Seeing someone else saying it is a lot more beneficial than just "thinking" it on my own however. I do have a few schools picked out (I thought Utah was one but I had to double check, and apparently it is required).

to reiterate.... a school that places emphasis on direct patient care probably wont be interested in you. a school that doesnt care about that will be fine with looking at you as an applicant if if appeal to whatever else they are looking for. find those schools, and you will be positioned best.

Do you really see or hear of applicants with no experience though? This might be a skewed representation of applicants due to well.. trying to over-achieve and doing everything possible, including browsing forums to gain better insight. From what I've read, the chances are basically non-existent without HCE.

you may not want to travel the traditional route, but then why ask people who went that route about exceptions to it. if thats the way that they feel is best, it seems strange to ask them about ways to skirt that approach. you may want to be a PA, but i dont think you are in a position to expect to do it solely on your own terms.

I don't intend to have everything go my way, I think that is unrealistic in anything you choose to do. You do have some... sway though as to how you approach things for what you feel is best.

Finally,

and we can discuss ad nauseum what kind of pa you will or won't be in the long run.....

Been discussed in other threads, please not here =(

Help me understand...

There are CNAs out there who have to do tasks which are unappealing (but someone's gotta do it, right?), however, you feel that since you are academically qualified (or have some academic potential) that you should be excluded from this, or that it's not a great fit for you?

I don't want to get certified and spend money to essentially make a bed, dress patients, feed them, and basically do the tasks that I feel I am "overqualified" for. Please don't misread that as "I feel more important or entitled to anything." I just feel that academically my knowledge should qualify me for a different position, one that constantly takes vitals, monitors charts, even reading xrays. I have read charts before, spun blood, performed and interpreted EKG's, determined what type of medication is for x disorder/ailment, x-ray interpretation, etc... and yes all of that has been done under the guise and comfort of academia. I am clearly not trained in any manner to practice health care however and nor should I be in any position that does --

hence trying to get into PA school and finding an appropriate position where I feel valued for my experiences (and quite honestly, valued for my degree.)

You strike me as a young, naive and impatient person. Many of us here have degrees, even graduate degrees. For me, doing the dirty work is paying my dues. If you can't grasp this concept then you seriously think you're too good for certain health care related tasks, regardless of you feeling that you're not degrading these people (who perform tasks which are not academically to your liking).

You simply don't have the time to go through these traditional certification routes? That's really too bad. I'm sorry you're in such a rush, but I hope you eventually learn that you can grow a lot with the responsibilities and jobs you have over the years and that maturity counts for a lot. If there are tasks which you don't want to do, especially for the reasons that you listed, what does this imply about how you view teamwork?

Help me understand...

There are CNAs out there who have to do tasks which are unappealing (but someone's gotta do it, right?), however, you feel that since you are academically qualified (or have some academic potential) that you should be excluded from this, or that it's not a great fit for you?

I don't want to get certified and spend money to essentially make a bed, dress patients, feed them, and basically do the tasks that I feel I am "overqualified" for. Please don't misread that as "I feel more important or entitled to anything." I just feel that academically my knowledge should qualify me for a different position, one that constantly takes vitals, monitors charts, even reading xrays. I have read charts before, spun blood, performed and interpreted EKG's, determined what type of medication is for x disorder/ailment, x-ray interpretation, etc... and yes all of that has been done under the guise and comfort of academia. I am clearly not trained in any manner to practice health care however and nor should I be in any position that does --

hence trying to get into PA school and finding an appropriate position where I feel valued for my experiences (and quite honestly, valued for my degree.)

You strike me as a young, naive and impatient person. Many of us here have degrees, even graduate degrees. For me, doing the dirty work is paying my dues. If you can't grasp this concept then you seriously think you're too good for certain health care related tasks, regardless of you feeling that you're not degrading these people (who perform tasks which are not academically to your liking).

You simply don't have the time to go through these traditional certification routes? That's really too bad. I'm sorry you're in such a rush, but I hope you eventually learn that you can grow a lot with the responsibilities and jobs you have over the years and that maturity counts for a lot. If there are tasks which you don't want to do, especially for the reasons that you listed, what does this imply about how you view teamwork?

Archived