UNTHSC 2017-2018 Application Cycle

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/13/2017 at 3:48 PM, PAgirl20 said:

Is it true that UNT does not accept students with a single C on their transcript? I was browsing another forum and someone who attended one of their online information sessions said she was told this. 

I interviewed there this year and was rejected. I had a C in one of their prereqs and got an A in the next semester of the same class. I think that maybe if you have a C, they give priority to those who don't have Cs when deciding who to accept. Honestly, I think that was why I didn't receive an acceptance or wait list, but I could be wrong.

On 10/20/2017 at 11:38 PM, Txpa87 said:

Congrats! I submitted mine in early August but finding it hard to stay optimistic since I’ve yet to hear anything. Best of luck to all who are interviewing Nov. 4th! 

Don't give up, @Txpa87! I received an invitation for Nov. 4 as well but I didn't submit my application to UNT until mid July. I'm pretty sure they still interview until January so there are probably at least 2 more interviews to go. One of my friends who graduated in 2015 there was interviewed in January so don't lose hope. It's hard to stay optimistic while waiting but do use this time to understand yourself beyond a PA school candidate and do what you love, whether it's medically related or not (which helps ease anxiety and helps us to be more human at the actual interview). 

On 10/24/2017 at 10:29 PM, rebsli17 said:

Don't give up, @Txpa87! I received an invitation for Nov. 4 as well but I didn't submit my application to UNT until mid July. I'm pretty sure they still interview until January so there are probably at least 2 more interviews to go. One of my friends who graduated in 2015 there was interviewed in January so don't lose hope. It's hard to stay optimistic while waiting but do use this time to understand yourself beyond a PA school candidate and do what you love, whether it's medically related or not (which helps ease anxiety and helps us to be more human at the actual interview). 

Thanks rebsli17!! You’re absolutely right. I’ll try and keep myself busy and hope for a January interview in the meantime. Good luck on your interview this Saturday!! And congrats. 

3 hours ago, Alyssa13m said:

Has anyone received an informational email for the nov. 4th interview yet? The last email I got from them confirmed my time slot and said another would be sent approximately one week before my interview date, which would've been saturday.

Just received an email this morning confirming the interview date and what to expect for the day. 

I interviewed on 11/4 and my impression was that it's a technically superior program but not very down to earth.  I wish we'd had more time to get to know and talk to the faculty one on one.  The interviews, if you can call them that, were extremely brief and didn't really include any conversation with faculty.  I want to give the program a fair shot, but the vibe I got was a little stiff and impersonal.  It's hard not to compare among programs, and the other TX school I interviewed at was much more welcoming and informational.  Anyone know current students and if they actually enjoy the program? It seemed like the students at the interview were hinting it's a very competitive, type A atmosphere.  Honestly a little disappointed. I was hoping to like UNT more!

26 minutes ago, wareagle107 said:

I interviewed on 11/4 and my impression was that it's a technically superior program but not very down to earth.  I wish we'd had more time to get to know and talk to the faculty one on one.  The interviews, if you can call them that, were extremely brief and didn't really include any conversation with faculty.  I want to give the program a fair shot, but the vibe I got was a little stiff and impersonal.  It's hard not to compare among programs, and the other TX school I interviewed at was much more welcoming and informational.  Anyone know current students and if they actually enjoy the program? It seemed like the students at the interview were hinting it's a very competitive, type A atmosphere.  Honestly a little disappointed. I was hoping to like UNT more!

I also interviewed on 11/4 and felt the same way. Very impersonal and I thought the faculty seemed stand-offish. Talking to faculty for < 20 minutes, made it extremely hard for me to understand how they could really get to know us. We took more time writing essays and taking a logic test than being personally “interviewed”. I’ve interviewed at several Texas schools and felt very unwelcomed at UNT.  I went to their open house in June and loved it. But at the interview I was extremely disappointed. I was really hoping to like this school more. 

I also interviewed on 11/4 and felt the same way. Very impersonal and I thought the faculty seemed stand-offish. Talking to faculty for

I agree completely with both of you! It was not at all like other interviews I have attended. I was definitely disappointed by the lack of one on one interaction. On the plus side, the facilities were very nice and the current students all seemed to be top-notch.

Hopefully we all get calls this week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, wareagle107 said:

I agree as well. I would have preferred some more one on one time.

I do actually know a couple current students and they say that it's a very collaborative environment. It's not like medical school where everyone is super competitive trying to get the best residency. They say that as a PA student, you really have nothing to lose in helping your fellow students. To that end, students do share notes/flash cards/diagrams/etc. and study a lot together. I do agree that we really didn't get that vibe from the interview this weekend, though!! The interview really made it seem more like a competitive environment.

Hope this helps!

As a current student of the program I would say that my time at UNTHSC has been extremely collaborative between the students and the faculty. The faculty have an open door policy and you can easily email them to ask any questions or stop by for a meeting about a concept you have trouble with as they are 100% for passing you, not trying to trick you to fail you out. The students are there to help each other pass the program as everyone shares notes, study guides or tips about resources that they have found helpful. Once you are in the program you are helping each other pass! Compared to the application process where everyone is fighting each other for a seat in the program. 

As far as the interview process I know that for myself personally I did many MMI situational interviews with different schools across the country and they were ALL very brief and not meant to have a conversation through. I found that I best understood the program best in these interview situations when there was a faculty or student panel available to answer my questions. 

You can message me personally if you have any questions! 

Archived