Should I take these classes as CC or my current university?

Hello everyone! I was hoping I could get some advice on when I should take some required classes. I'm currently a 3rd year student at my university and I am scheduled to graduate in 3 quarters. Would it make a difference if I take Organic Chem lab or Anatomy/Physiology at a community college? I can fit these classes into my current schedule, but if I want to graduate on time, it would require me to take 4 classes each quarter (10 weeks) while working and staying active in my clubs and volunteering. I can totally do it as I've done it before, but I'd rather not because it was hell haha! I'm taking some classes for my major during the summer, but I also enrolled in the anatomy/physiology classes for the summer because my school only offers them at that time. Should I just focus on graduating and completing the required classes for my major and take organic chem lab or anatomy/physiology classes at a community college, or should I squeeze them all into my remaining 3 quarters + summer sessions at my current university?

Personally I'd say take them at your university.  I don't think using a professor rating system is really the way to decide this (highly subjective reviews) but at a university these courses may be considered higher course levels which in the end is usually preferred for applying to PA school.

Something to consider - if you are going to need financial aid to take these, you'll likely need to take them from your university before you graduate.  If I remember correctly you can't get financial aid to take random classes after you've graduated (because you aren't seeking a degree) so that's something to think about.

I took almost all of my prereqs at community college and suffered no penalty for it. In fact, many of the local prestigious four-year university premed students came over to CC to take biochem from an English-speaking PhD. 

In an ideal world, we could all go take our classes at Stanford, but in the real world, do what you need to do.

Good luck!

Organic chemistry and anatomy/physiology are important prerequisites. In which situation do you think you'll get better grades? I don't think it will matter where you take these courses, but more that you do well in them. As many have found post-graduation, it is incredibly difficult to improve a low undergraduate GPA. 

As MT2PA mentioned there is also a financial component to this that you should consider. Graduating on time will obviously be less expensive than an additional semester and community college courses are often comparatively inexpensive. If I were in your position and was financially able, I would focus on completing my bachelor's degree and take any unfinished prerequisites at community college.

I already signed up for the anatomy and physiology classes in the summer so I'll likely just take those here. I'm only taking one other class with them so I should do fine. I'll likely end up taking the O chem lab and micro + lab at a community college instead. Thanks guys!

There have been many successful stories of applicants taking prerequisites at CC's. I took my A&P courses at CC. I could've taken it at my university but my university only offered a combined A&P I and II course of 4 credits. I needed 8 credits and PA schools are really strict with this requirement. I decided to attend CC while attending my university. I suffered no consequences in getting interviews and acceptances. Got into my top pick. You should be fine if you believe taking CC would be the best route for you.

Archived