Clinical Experience

Hi, I am graduating college with a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology and minor in Neuroscience. I am beginning my PA applications but need help with finding the best way to do clinical experience.  I already have 500 hours as a medical assistant but this was unpaid. I am moving to New York City, but I can not find a way to get clinical experience without having some kind of certification, either as MA, CNA, or PCT. Any suggestions on finding paid clinical experience with my degree without paying for these other certifications?

Or a way to take the exam for these certifications without taking the courses? 

Thank you.

Congrats on your bachelor's! I know for CNA in some states you can take the certification test without the class, but I don't think that is possible for MA. I don't know what the eligibility for CNA certification testing is in New York.

Your best bet would be to contact or look on craigslist/job listing sites for MA positions in private practices in New York. There is a new trend of doctors in private practice hiring new grads and training them on the job. Good luck!

I agree with panglossian.

Also, depending on what schools you are applying to, scribing could help. I was a scribe during undergrad and was accepted to several schools. I also learned a great deal during my shifts, probably because I had an amazing doctor. It helped me immensely during my Patient Assessment course my first semester (because I knew all of the physical exam techniques) as well as in my Foundations courses. 

Archived