PLEASE help... I could really use some advice

Hello,

First of all thank you for even taking the time to read this. Right now I am a Senior at Penn State University. I will be graduating this May 2012 with a B.S. in Sciene, Life Science Option and a minor in Kinesiology. My GPA isn't very good, 3.02. I'm finishing up the rest of my science classes this semester, but I have gotten either A's or B's in them with a couple C's. Some adjustments to grades are pending, which will make my GPA a little higher, around a 3.1. I volunteer at the local food bank and was a volunteer EMT about 6 years ago (realized it wasn't for me). I have not yet taken the GRE. I have been browsing this forum for quite some time now, while there is a lot of useful information here I still found that I just need information regarding my own personal stats. Looking through everyone else's stats has made me quite discouraged because I am far from any of them, I fear that my dream is slipping away because of my lack of credentials. I have no direct patient contact health care experience and am having trouble finding some because everywhere I've looked you need at least a year or more of experience and/or certifications of some kind. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get some? How did you get your foot in the door, because I can't seem to? What concerns me most is my low GPA and lack of experience. I already know I need to take a year off or so from applying to PA school because I don't have the experience, I am willing to put in the effort I just need the opportunity. PLEASE if you have any advice, information, or encouraging words I would really appreciate it. This is something I've wanted to do my whole life. :;-D:

I dont mean to sound discouraging but, how do you know that you want to be a PA? Have you shadowed any PAs? If EMT wasnt for you, how do you know PA is????

I'd suggest finishing your science classes, take some upper level science classes (and get A's) to help bring up your science gpa and get health care experience any way you can even if you have to start at a hospital as a secretary, get your foot in the door and start meeting people who can help you navigate the system and transition into positions where you will get training and/or direct experience. If you have no experience and/or certs currently, you probably will need to get certs in order to have the skills to perform the duties....look into that route as well.

try cna or medical assistant. not everyone likes or has the aptitude for emergency medicine. some fields just click for certain people. standing in the o.r. around a table all day would be like pulling out my fingernails so different paths for each of us is ok....

I suggest CNA. Its pretty easy to get certified and jobs are numerous. Plus you will meet allot of providers and will get great experience (provided you work in an appropriate facility). If you are unsure of what type of PA you want to be, I suggest working in a hospital where you will most likely be "floated" to various floors where you can experience different areas of healthcare.

I only suggest this because I had a similar gpa and lack of experience. How do you feel about a two year degree in Respiratory Therapy? If you do well, you'll have approximately 40 hours of science credit to show an upward trend in gpa and excellent clinical experience. With the 3.1 GPA you will competing against many students with 3.5 and above; you need something to set you apart. Smack that gre out of the park as well, it can be done. In order to do it right, you're looking at a minimum of 4 years (2 for school, 2 for experience). Just to give you an idea, I currently have a 3.3 overall, 3.0 science 1270 gre with over 4k hrs as an RRT and have only gotten one interview (coming up soon), just to give you an idea of how competitive it is. Good luck!

Archived