Eroding and eventually disappearing benefits.....No vacation, No CME etc....

More and more jobs I look at especially in Texas are cutting out ancillary benefits for PA's.  This trend has seemed to really accelerate in the last 2 years.  As more corporations purchase practices and in my case, Urgent Care chains, they are just gutting benefits.

-The places I locum for (for their FT employees) now offer no PTO...Zero...Nadda.  You miss a day?  You make it up.  Sick?  Too bad, you're making it up.  $500 a year to cover state license, DEA and all CME....wow.  Medical Ins?  You pay FULL amount for you and family.  No 401k match...on and on.

Funny enough with the massive influx of new grads both PA and NP, they seem happy to take these jobs.  I can see a day in the next 5-7 years where PA's are given no benefits except "access" to buy medical ins. and nothing else.

I'm wondering if this trend is happening nationwide or just in corporate overlord friendly Texas...?

More and more jobs I look at especially in Texas are cutting out ancillary benefits for PA's.  This trend has seemed to really accelerate in the last 2 years.  As more corporations purchase practices and in my case, Urgent Care chains, they are just gutting benefits.

-The places I locum for (for their FT employees) now offer no PTO...Zero...Nadda.  You miss a day?  You make it up.  Sick?  Too bad, you're making it up.  $500 a year to cover state license, DEA and all CME....wow.  Medical Ins?  You pay FULL amount for you and family.  No 401k match...on and on.

Funny enough with the massive influx of new grads both PA and NP, they seem happy to take these jobs.  I can see a day in the next 5-7 years where PA's are given no benefits except "access" to buy medical ins. and nothing else.

I'm wondering if this trend is happening nationwide or just in corporate overlord friendly Texas...?

Not in the mid-west, sounds corporate to me, that is why I left the corporate world and will never return. 

If everyone STOPS taking these jobs.... then they have to pay better.....

at a recent performance review I got accused of being a primadona.....  my answer was simply that i have done the 3000+ hour years and I am now focused on doing the best job I can on my terms.  I didn't apologize, just stated it..... 

If everyone STOPS taking these jobs.... then they have to pay better.....

at a recent performance review I got accused of being a primadona.....  my answer was simply that i have done the 3000+ hour years and I am now focused on doing the best job I can on my terms.  I didn't apologize, just stated it..... 

Primadona?  Wow, the lack of respect given us now never ceases to amaze me. 

I was actually told at one point by a non-clinical admin that they love hiring new grads for urgent care because they will take anything.  I countered with concern over putting a new grad in an autonomous UC clinic even if they are "cheap".  Her response?  "Hey they graduated PA school, if they can't do the job they shouldn't apply".      Simply clueless.  

My CME benefits were just cut in half.  It was $4000 now at $2000 per year.  Still an ok sum of money, but I expect it to gradually decline.  This is for CME and license renewal and professional dues.  My employer still covers DEA separately, but I expect at some point it will be taken out of the $2000. 

My CME benefits were just cut in half.  It was $4000 now at $2000 per year.  Still an ok sum of money, but I expect it to gradually decline.  This is for CME and license renewal and professional dues.  My employer still covers DEA separately, but I expect at some point it will be taken out of the $2000. 

I use to get $2k, then $1k...when I left the job 6 months ago I was getting $500.  AND the company required all providers to become DOT certified......and refused to pay for it.  About a $500 fee.   Amazing.

Archived