Quick Vent About Bridging

Giving consideration to going through a bridge program to get my MPAS.  I am not willing to pay five figures to do so and I've looked at a one semester program to allow for same.  While I have no interest in doing so at this stage of my career it would allow me access to potential teaching opportunities and should my current cush job be thrown to the wayside due to administrators that don't know a thing about healthcare, then I wouldn't be immediately tossed to the curb for traditional practice positions due to the BS degree only.

Here is the problem.  While waiting to get more specific information from a bridge program, I contacted my SP's today just to inquire as to whether or not they would be ok in the "mentoring" role which is required for us to be able to bridge.  One says that their candle is burning at both ends but if it doesn't entail too much then they would be glad to help.  The other comments that maybe I could "test out" based on my experience.  I have no clue as to how involved the physicians have to be in this situation, nor is it spelled out in any manner at the program website.  Responses were not exactly what I was expecting.  Once again our profession bites us in the arse by pushing us into advanced degrees, but only if we remain in a dependent role to where our success is dependent on the willingness of another third party to assist us in obtaining said degree.

I sent the docs back a Realtor.com link for a Kauai oceanfront property and said that I'd rather be looking into it than the degree, but that it is what it is for right now.  

Giving consideration to going through a bridge program to get my MPAS. I am not willing to pay five figures to do so and I've looked at a one semester program to allow for same. While I have no interest in doing so at this stage of my career it would allow me access to potential teaching opportunities and should my current cush job be thrown to the wayside due to administrators that don't know a thing about healthcare, then I wouldn't be immediately tossed to the curb for traditional practice positions due to the BS degree only.

Here is the problem. While waiting to get more specific information from a bridge program, I contacted my SP's today just to inquire as to whether or not they would be ok in the "mentoring" role which is required for us to be able to bridge. One says that their candle is burning at both ends but if it doesn't entail too much then they would be glad to help. The other comments that maybe I could "test out" based on my experience. I have no clue as to how involved the physicians have to be in this situation, nor is it spelled out in any manner at the program website. Responses were not exactly what I was expecting. Once again our profession bites us in the arse by pushing us into advanced degrees, but only if we remain in a dependent role to where our success is dependent on the willingness of another third party to assist us in obtaining said degree.

I sent the docs back a Realtor.com link for a Kauai oceanfront property and said that I'd rather be looking into it than the degree, but that it is what it is for right now.

It's no big deal. The physician literally just co-signs the form an d you just keep a log of the pts you saw for the requirement. My SP did it for me and he didn't do anything on his part to be honest. Though this may depend on the program you are in. It might involve more participation but my program that's what it entailed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

After thirty plus years in all specialty settings, can I not just have you tell me the cost of the degree and let me send you a check for same and we just call it even?  Do I really expect to pick up anything new from this (asked seriously)?  If you want me to write a paper of "x" number of pages, how about I just send you some patient records of the same number of pages, HIPAA info. deleted, and you read them and tell me if they were informative?  I'm giving a lecture next week to some professional students in another field regarding CV disease.  Do I get extra credit?

OK program, you drive a hard bargain.  I'll let you use the Kauai condo for a week in exchange for the degree AND the tuition.

All obviously said tongue-in-cheek.  I know many of you have put in a lot of time, effort, and cash to get yours.

Archived