Hospital credentialing

I'm being told it takes 3 months.  I am already credentialed with insurances but not sure if this takes time to get re-credentialed under a new facility.  Is this true it will take this long? :( Are people really searching for new positions 3 months before they leave their positions? Not sure how hospitals are able to attract people or how PAs or docs are dealing with a several-month gap in unemployment..

It can certainly take that long, depending upon the hospital's process and whether they use an outside firm.  If you have copies of all certifications, procedure logs, etc from previous employers, etc and can send them in right away that will help.  So will take forms to folks who will be references, having them fill them out, and then immediately mail back in vs. waiting for the credentialers to do it.  Most hospital credentialing committees only meet monthly, so you have to be ahead of their schedules.

You should plan at least 6 months to get a new job: 3 to find it and be hired, then another 3 for credentialling.

If you are credentialled through CAQH and get your references to reply quickly, you can sometimes speed up the process. The hospitals I have privileges usually have committees that meet once a month. If your stuff isn't ready, it is a minimum of another month before you're even considered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, 2-3 months for sure.  I have been with CAQH and still have waited 2-3 months.  As above, it is often because of the once a month meeting.  Applying 2-3 months before you are actually ready to start has been the norm when needing credentialled.  Private practice is much quicker.  Always have a file with all transcripts, licenses, DEA, prior malpractice certificates, etc... ready to go.  Giving additional references is good to make up for slow reference replies.  Get a contact in the medical staff office you can check in with to make sure you aren't missing anything and to get deadlines for meeting dates.    

I was hired for a PT immediate care position in October, and I probably won't be able to actually start until March. The credentialing itself, coupled with a very unhelpful medical staffing office, has made the entire process unpleasant to say the least. I would never recommend this hospital system to anyone.

Archived