What should I study? Preparing for PA school next fall

Was wondering if I could get some input from current PAs or PA students on what they wish they would have studied or prepared ahead of time before jumping into the intense coursework your first semester in school. I have accepted a seat in a program, but am in a gap year between undergrad and PA school and basically I'm concerned the tough sciences may be a big challenge for me as upper level sciences were for me in undergrad. I have a strong background in anatomy and will continue to review that, but didn't know if anyone could suggest some youtube channel, or online quizzes that could refresh and prepare me well in this year off so I could put my time to good use. Thanks in advance.

Functionally the answer is: nothing.  You can't get ahead, so don't try.  See family, see the ocean, see the Milky Way in a very dark corner of our country.  Don't open a book.  You will do that non-stop for the next two years.  Don't worry that you will be behind, the school will get you caught up.  Do the things you won't be able to do for the next 3 years (2 of school, 1 year as a new employee who won't have much time off)

Seriously, don't.  Most programs can't cover EVERYTHING so you'd be best served by waiting until you see what your program wants to focus on and how they test before you put a lot of time and energy into potentially studying things that won't help you later.

Work, make some money, have some fun.  You'll spend plenty of time studying later.

Honestly I wouldn't! I started PA school this year and had been out of undergrad for two years. My medical background was being a CNA in a nursing home but otherwise not much else, so I didn't bring a lot of medical knowledge with me. I didn't study prior to entering PA school and I'm doing great! The lectures have not been over my head and I have been able to succeed by learning what my faculty teaches. PA school is incredibly challenging due to the volume of material, so the worst thing you could do is come in to school already burnt out.

Your program will teach you what they want to know and hopefully speak to some of the differences from the textbook to the real world. Enjoy your free time for now, work as much as you can to save up some money and see you family friends!

Best of luck starting your program next year!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ocean breeze. The "plop" that your grand father's fishing line makes when he casts our next to you. The dirt of a hiking trail. A place you haven't seen before. A place you've seen before, but never really absorbed before. 

DO. NOT. Pre-study. PA school is 2+ years of your life you will not get back. Keep in touch with the things that you'll miss like hell once it all starts. 

Archived