Pediatrics and using a scribe

I just started a new job in pediatrics. Anyone out there in peds too? Any recommendations on books to review other than Harriet Lane?

Also I'll be using a scribe which I think we'll be great. I'm already seeing though that I will have to train her significantly on how to write a proper note and one that's my way since I ultimately am putting my name on it. Any advice when working with a scribe?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never used a scribe and have enough OCD that I have to do stuff myself.

I would, however, make sure the scribe salary is very transparent. Does it come out of your production or income? 

A doc friend had to pay for her own scribe out of her own paycheck. She has a rheumatologic condition that made the scribe necessary and she could afford it but I get worried about scribe salary.

Also - is the scribe there to push you to see an obscene number of patients? 

Quality not quantity......

I have a tip for working with a scribe in peds. In this country, no one is more self-conscious about their genitalia than adolescent boys, but they are not likely to voice this discomfort to an authority figure. If you ask a fourteen year-old boy to drop his pants in front of the young female scribe, he will most likely do it without objection, but he will most likely be completely mortified in the process.

I know another PA student who did shadowing before school and her first day she was ushered in to an exam room where she watched a PA give *complete* physicals to an entire high school football team without her ever being introduced to the patients. Peds patients (especially in cases like this where no parents were present) are sometimes easier to do things like this to, but that doesn't mean you should.

Archived