ROLL CALL... Introductions (First Post)

I appreciate you listening to what I have to say...I will wait to see what Pacific University has to say, hopefully i will hear back from them either by phone call or via letter whether I am in the program by next week. I know that if the military gave me the chance to go PA school, I would put forth the 100% heart and effort to not back down. I felt bad for it once when I tried to get into BUDS after corpsman school, i won't make that same mistake again with PA school.

Thank you for your advice..but I will not be deployable or even attending drills during PA school. I would not do it otherwise.

Perhaps I am missing something, but it is my understanding that if you are in the guard/reserves, they can call you up at anytime. And how could you collect a paycheck and not do drills?

Not having spent a lot of time with reserve type outfits, I am not familiar with all of the gimmicks that relate to that service.

However, I have known a lot of recruiters over the years, and they, historically, will tell you whatever it is they think that you want to hear to get a signature.

I have first hand knowledge of a reservist, 1st year PA student, who left for Iraq last month.

Having bet the farm a number of times, I have learned to not use absolutes when dealing with what the Military can and can't do. I hear people say all of the time, "They can't do that." Well, it is my experience that they can do whatever the hell they want to! Even when paperwork said otherwise.

And those few times where I refused to obey an illegal order (aviation), and witnessed others disobey unethical orders, we all ended up like the proverbial horse that was led to water but refused to drink,...

We all sure as hell wished that we had.

Guest bluebenzgirl

My recruiter is a very close friend of mine-and this is a program through the MedCorps-I am in retraining status-so it would be like someone being pulled from thier tech school before they were trained. Trust me I have checked it out, and I am not stupid-They pay you active duty pay to attend med/pa or pharmacy school-and then you do your service after that.

It is a good program.

Guest nonlethal

94 MCRD Sandy Eggo G Co

94-02 F Co 2/23 Salt Lake City, UT (yes, I was a reservist...)

02-03 IIMEF Unitas (All over South America)

03 3/23 I co (Al Kut, Iraq)

late 03 passed up for SSgt 1st time

04 IIMEF Unitas (just Peru this time)

late 04 decided not to try for SSgt again, and withdrew my promo package

You know, they really don't promote Sgt to SSgt in the 03 field in the Reserves....

happily a civilian now, going to school (super senior undergrad) and only every once in a while thinking about re-enlisting. And then I talk to a buddy or two still deployed to somewhere... and I thank the stars above that my wife is stubborn enough to just say no a million and one times to my asking if I can re-enilst...

Looking seriously at going to PA school when I graduate. Work as an EMT basic right now at a clinic in the area.

Glad to have gone there, done that, and come home.

My recruiter is a very close friend of mine-and this is a program through the MedCorps-I am in retraining status-so it would be like someone being pulled from thier tech school before they were trained. Trust me I have checked it out, and I am not stupid-They pay you active duty pay to attend med/pa or pharmacy school-and then you do your service after that.

It is a good program.

I haven't heard of this program-and am quite skeptical...great deal if it is real though...

I agree with Lou's comments on this and on Rebel's post...

Guest jla_doc

Hospital Corpsman 1996-2004

1st Marine Division 96-99

USNH Okinawa 99-03

III Marine Expeditionary Force 03-04

Currently in the Interservice Physician Assistant Program class 03-04, Naval School of Health Sciences, San Diego, Ca

Graduate in October!!!

Guest budpar3

Buddy Parrish here.

Reired 1993, Army Major, Class 7, 1975 - 1977

Cardiothoracic Surgical PA, older now, still certified and active

Owner, PerStat Medical Systems, Inc.

Certified Clinical Perfusionist

PhD, Industrial Psychology; Masters, Counseling Psychology

Prior PA Consultant to The Army Surgeon General

Guest bluebenzgirl

To the cynics out there- :) I did not make up the program...it is a good one. A friend of mine used it to go to Pharmacy school, but he decided to go active duty after he graduated.

Since I was prior service AF and am going to the Army-without attending any type of tech school-just what would they deploy me as? I am no good as just a PA student......I know it seems hard to believe, but I have looked at this over and over and it is on the up and up.

Guest bluebenzgirl

I was SATCOM.....nothing medical-hahaha they told me when I took my asvab that they rarely get women who score highly on the eletronics section-(this was 92) so I had to go to electronics school :(. I went in with the intention of working somewhere in a hospital....instead I ended up as the only female in my tech school class and the first female in my units SATCOM shop.

bluebenzgirl,

Sounds like you're in the Army's version of the Navy's "Health Services Collegiate Program (HSCP):You get military pay and allowances competitive with many entry-level management positions, plus benefits, for up to 24 months while still in school for some masters programs and up to 36 months for various PhD programs."

• 2 weeks later...

ARMY

Basic: Ft. Bliss, Texas 1989

AIT 91B: Fort Sam

MEDDAC Fort Sill- 1990-92

91C School Fort Sam: 1992-93

Walter Reed AMC: 1993-94

Kitzingen, Germany: 1994-1997

115th Field Hospital Fort Polk: 1997-2000

Louisiana Army National Guard: 2000 - Present

PA School LSU Class of 2006 Hoooooooooooooah!!

16 + years of service....the debate begins (to re-up or not to re-up)!!!

ARMY 16 + years of service....the debate begins (to re-up or not to re-up)!!!

Having been there myself, I took the advice of hundreds of people who pulled the Paul Mason and got out before their time. Never, EVER, met anyone who got out with over 10 and said it was the best move they ever made. With the hindsight calculator, they did the math and they all came up short.

They were all right, 4 years goes by quick! Almost the twinkling of an eye. So, I would stay another 4, make the big bucks for retirement, get your base sticker and free meds, and use your "universal healthcare" as a bargaining chip for salary or wage negotiations.

4 years goes by quick OOH-RAH!

Remember the 10 years required to retire as a officer...

Also...

Pork... The Other white meat...!

Army National Guard... the other Active Duty...!!!

(think forward deployed for 12 months a pop qoy... in a BAS somewhere... performing in the "dog and pony show" with a nurse as YOUR supervisor!)...

Just Thoughts!

DocNusum

I have a friend that separated at 19 years. He was passed over for promotion and was somehow allowed to separate into the reserve component where he fell into a promotable position and was promoted. Served enough active time in the Reserves to get enough points for full active retirement. He is now enjoying the retirment of the next rank higher. Must be nice.