Chance of getting into Emory PA program?

I have read many similar postings on this forum and found that getting into certain programs depends on its programs. I just wonder...

I am going to be a Senior coming semester at Emory University.

I have GPA: 3.3...

Took the three prerequisites that Emory required... (plans on taking one more of biology)

I have about GPA: 3.1

Psychology Major and Religion Minor.

I am applying for the Early Application for both Public health and PA.

I have about 2000 to 2500 hours of shadowing and also health care training.

I have volunteered for the Health Fairs for the last 6 years.

My Gre is about average the Emory PA program requires. (Verbal 510 Quantitative 680)

Ever since very young age, I wanted to work in the health care field and have thought of doing nothing otherwise.

Will have have a chance?

I am worried about my natural science GPA and my Average Gre score.

And I have no BA degree yet... I will be graduating in 2011. (Emory program told me that I could apply since I will be graduating next year)

Would age and having little experience be a weak point along with my low scores?

Will I still have a chance?

Thank you!

I had started kind of early with shadowing the doctor, since I had previously thought I wanted to go to medical school... So ever since my sophomore year of high school, I started shadowing an internal medicine doctor everyday over the summer, then starting college, I went to the office during the school years too. I adjusted the classes times to the afternoon ones, so that I could shadow during the morning. (two different doctors)

As for the health care training, just little things, such as venipuncture, reading EKG, running the EKG on patients, checking the vitals for the patients, and also some insurance things... like a nurse assistant. This was done over the summer... Do they count even as training? I wasn't sure... :(

As for the health care training, just little things, such as venipuncture, reading EKG, running the EKG on patients, checking the vitals for the patients, and also some insurance things... like a nurse assistant. This was done over the summer... Do they count even as training? I wasn't sure... :(

did u get certifications?

Emory is one of those old school institutions. They want you to have a little life experience and quite a bit of HCE also. Like Jen, I considered Emory simply because it's literally in my backyard, but I just didn't fit there...and the tuition is astronomical.

I would hope that with all the great training you got you have something to show for it, like a log of work hours or certifications. Was this paid experience or did you work as a volunteer? Most folks accepted to Emory have had prior health care careers (RN, RT, etc.)

• 1 year later...

Don't be discouraged! It is important to have health care experience but don't let your grades, scores and experience discourage you from applying to Emory's PA program.

I am currently a PA student at Emory. My grades were literally average, but I think my science gpa was a little higher than average. My GRE score barely met the minimum. I was an MA in an Internal Medicine clinic and had about 2500 hours. I shadowed PA's and Dr's. I volunteered at health fairs, and started a health program which was basically to consult and teach patients about chronic diseases with brochures at the health fairs. I got into the dual-degree PA/MPH program. I think my essay and recommendations really helped me get in. I also go into the George Washington dual-degree PA/MPH program.

So please apply! I know Emory is looking for a well-rounded applicant, not just based on the number of health care experience you have. The averages are just averages, many of my classmates have been doing what they've been doing for 14 years, while there are others who just graduated from undergrad with a BSN. I only had a year of direct health care experience.

Good luck with applying! You will get into PA school and become a PA, it's just a matter of when :)

people in my class have hce but not every one of them has touched a patient....they have different types of hce from lab techs to research assistants to dietitians and on....and the ones who do have hands on, not all of them have paid hands on......quite a few got their hands on from volunteering which is something that Emory is big on....they really believe in giving back to the community.

Grade wise and GRE wise I would say dont worry too much about it. Emory really looks at the whole applicant ...I didnt think I was good enough and applied by accident and welp....Im here now. The tuition is astronomical though so I would only choose to go here if Emory is just the ideal place for you.....dont want to attend Emory because of the name or prestige because its a heck of a chunk of money to pay just for that.....however its worth it if youre paying because youre comfortable there and you really like it

Archived