What classes to take to raise GPA?

I have my B.S. in Biology so I have all of the pre-reqs I need to apply to most schools.

My question is, I am already thinking about the next cycle in case I do not get in this current cycle.

Curious what kind of classes to take in the meantime to improve my GPA?  I was thinking maybe some online psychology classes, even an intro to oceanography.

Thank you!

I....um....I guess you could take oceanography?  It might raise your GPA but it certainly won't impress anyone.  Most programs have a list of recommended courses that you could tackle.  Basically anything that is an upper level science (related to health/medicine/humans) are safe bets.  Things like immunology, virology, genetics, etc.  Many schools actually require at least one if not more psychology classes so those would also be a good idea and help expand your pool of potential programs.  Not sure I'd spend the money on oceanography....

Get the most bang for your buck, take upper division science classes that will boost both cGPA and sGPA. Biochem is a great one, Microbiology, and any that MT2PA mentioned. Otherwise another plan would be a graduate certificate or something similar in a scientific field or public health. This raises your GPA and shows you can handle graduate coursework.

Hey, I'm actually doing postbacc and here's what I'm taking or have taken to boost my gpa:

immunology, medical genetics, parasitology, virology, neurobiology, developmental biology. 

i also suggest upper level psych classes that are related to the health field like developmental psych, brain and behavior, health psych, child development, abnormal psych.

• Administrator

Otherwise another plan would be a graduate certificate or something similar in a scientific field or public health. This raises your GPA and shows you can handle graduate coursework.

Careful with that... graduate level work will affect your GRADUATE GPA, and won't touch your undergrad GPA at all.

Archived