Tell me about your schedule during the didactic portion.

What is your day-to-day schedule like?  How many hours of serious studying do you put in before/after class?  How often do you attend classes in the evening?  Do you have things to attend during the weekend during the didactic portion?

For context on why I'm inquiring:  

I'm contemplating PA school, but my husband and I are trying to figure out how to make it work, especially while balancing our kiddos and my husband's job.  One option that isn't ideal, but might work, would be for me to move with our kids (who would be 6 & 4) four hours away for the didactic portion only, which is 15 months at that school.  We would be able to come home on weekends or have DH come to us.  

I've heard you are generally in class from 8-5 during the didactic portion at this school and then you study for the next day's classes, exams, etc.  I'm trying to figure out if it's plausible to go to school while my kids are at school/after school program, hang out with them from the end of classes until bedtime (8:00) and then study for a few hours (which is basically what I do now while working and taking prerequisites). This would only be during the didactic portion as we could all live in our current city during my clinical rotations.  

I think it probably depends a lot on what program you go to and what kinds of extra opportunities/requirements they have for you. My program has us blocked off Monday-Friday 8-5, some days we get out early, but we're told to plan being in class from 8-5.

I generally come home, eat dinner and then study until 8-9 depending on the weeks schedule and try and get to bed around 10. Weekends are catch up time, first 4 weeks I was studying 8-10hours on Saturday and Sunday now it doesn't seem as bad, but who knows what the rest of the year will be like. For summer quarter I have not taken a day off studying. Some days are lighter than others but I always have something to do. My program has very few tests outside of final exams so my load may be a little lighter than others. In general I think I study a lot less than some of my classmates, but I'm sure there are people who study less than me as well.

I am not married nor do I have children so I cannot speak to what that is like. I do know there are a lot of people who are married and have kids and they make it work! It's a struggle for sure, but if it's something you and your husband are passionate about you can make it work!

You may want to consider emailing admissions at your prospective programs and asking if they can put you in touch with a current student who has kids and that way you can ask them how they do it.

Best of luck with your decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sent my dog to live with my parents for didactic year bc I didn't feel like I would even have enough time to give her adequate attention - I can't imagine 2 kids (as the sole provider) for a year.

Unless you are someone who lives on ~4 hrs of sleep a night, you are likely underestimating how much time you'll either sleep or study.  If you need to participate in study groups you will find yourself in a tough place.

There are a few other threads on here about how much time is spent studying and it always varies greatly by person and program, but I will say definitely estimate/plan on more rather than less.

• Upvote 2

Married with one 3 year old here. Morning is getting myself and the little guy ready (breakfast, pack lunches, etc). I go to school anywhere from 8 or 9 til either 3 or 5 (depending on the day). I stay at school and study till 6:30 or 7, go home, spend time with family. I put my son to bed at between 8 and 8:30, then study till 11-11:30. Then bed, and do it again.

My wife works nights and weekends. So, It's just my son and I during the day Saturday and Sunday while she sleeps. I study during his nap time and after he goes to bed.

By myself? I don't see it happening. By myself with 2? Nope. But that's me and my roughly day to day.

I don't understand why you would throw yourself in PA school and move out with your kids alone without your spouse?

Spouse is probably invested in a stable and secure job, its understandable. 

This does seem to be pushing the boundries a bit. I do know there is another member on this forum (AliB?) who I believe went to PA school with one or two kiddos, and no spouse. Not sure if I remember correctly or not, but It was something pretty crazy like that. So.... its doable, but it will be probably the hardest thing you have ever done in your entire life, and it will be a test to your marriage for sure. 

I am married, and have two kids (5 and 2), but I am a man, and most of us know that men have it easier (you know its true :) ). I do work full time and attend school full time but my wife is a "full time parent" as she likes to call it. As I prepare for PA school I am grateful that she is willing to relocate and we will all move as a family. She will continue to stay at home ofcourse. 

Honestly, if I was in your shoes, and my wife was invested in a job, I would probably not make the decision to go to PA school. I am not sure how your husband feels about this, but I cant imagine living away from my kids and wife for more than 2 or 3 months. If he feels hesitant about this I really cuation you, as this could really challange the strength of your marriage. 

Let us know what you decide. 

Good Luck

Greg

went through school with kids age 6 and 8 when starting. also a man. no way the house and bills survived if i had to do that on top of school. Wife, who also worked full-time, took on everything while i was a derelict dad first semester. that was basis of my question about the student moving with two kids away from the support.

I was debating whether to chime in on this thread.  :)  Since I've been 'called out', I'll respond.  

I am currently a PA student, and I am a single parent.  I'm not in quite the same situation:  I have 4 under 3 (wasn't part of the plan, but my 'one more' ended up being a triple play!).  

I do not recommend it.  It has been tough and my academic performance has suffered for it.  AND I'm NOT trying to do it on my own.  I have very supportive siblings.  I moved out of my home state for PA school, but luckily for me, one of my brothers works remotely the majority of the time and he more or less relocated to my guest room here.  When the planned 2 was actually 4, I ended up bringing in an au pair as well.  If I didn't have the two of them helping, it wouldn't be possible for me to get through the program successfully.  My situation is not entirely comparable (number or ages), but I can't imagine having to cope with the inevitable "sick day" when one or more has a fever and can't return to day care until they've been 24 hours fever-free as one example.  

With respect to schedules, this program has the typical 8-5 as the normal hours.  But we've had evening lectures at least once or twice a semester (to accommodate a guest lecturer's availability).  We've also had mandatory weekend work a time or two each semester (some of the learning activities that involve real patients!).  Additionally, I cannot emphasize enough that the course load in most programs' didactic year is like nothing most people have experienced.  I also worked full-time, and took pre-reqs (while pregnant and then with a newborn); and I did it as a single parent without the help I have now.  That was a walk in the park compared to the volume and intensity of a PA program.  The semester credit hours are 16, 23, 30, 18 (summer, fall, spring, summer) in the 4 didactic semesters in this program and there is very very little "lightweight" subject matter.  Understand, too, that, to the best of my knowledge, most programs do not teach (via lecture) you everything you have to learn.  Students not only have to study what's been presented during scheduled sessions, but there's additional material that we are responsible for learning outside of the 8-5 time.  

Another thing for OP to consider:  Are you certain you can do ALL of your clinical rotations back in your current city?  Policies vary from program to program and there are standards and legalities to be fulfilled.  If you've confirmed that, great; this program wouldn't promise that option to anyone, and it's unlikely it would happen - at least some of the rotations would be done at their established rotation sites. 

I'm not saying don't do it.  I am saying don't underestimate the sacrifice or effort that will be required.  Don't underestimate the additional support that will be needed.  I think I probably underestimated both and it's been a challenge to still make it all work (and I have a great deal of flexibility that you may not have).  Also, I agree with a previous post, based on observations of others, don't underestimate the stress it can place on relationships if all parties are not 'all-in' on the goal and committed to making the necessary sacrifices.  

• Upvote 4

When I was in school, we had classes 8-5 with breaks during the day and one evening class. Where I teach, we try to get them out by 4-430 if possible.

It is tough moving with your kids and leaving your husband home. I didn't do it, but a student I precepted did. She ended up having another family member (sister or cousin) move with her and be her nanny.

It clearly takes a lot of time to study. I found that you could budget time for your family (I lived two hours away from my wife and our 3 twenty-something children) and I went home most weekends without books. After class, I took a walk for 45 minutes, ate dinner, studied, and watched a TV show before I went to bed. I also got up at 4 to study some more on many occasions. If I had a test coming up, my wife visited me for the weekend.

I suspect that, in addition to being with your kids until 8-ish, you will have lots of other chores to do (laundry, cleaning up the toys, shopping, cooking, etc). That too would cut into your study time. Some people can study late and night and get by without a lot of sleep. That wasn't me, but maybe it is you.

An issue for your clinical  year would be if your school can place you in rotations close enough to your real home for you to commute. 

Good luck!

"I also worked full-time, and took pre-reqs (while pregnant and then with a newborn); and I did it as a single parent without the help I have now.  That was a walk in the park compared to the volume and intensity of a PA program.  The semester credit hours are 16, 23, 30, 18 (summer, fall, spring, summer) in the 4 didactic semesters in this program and there is very very little "lightweight" subject matter."

So, so true. I underestimated the first couple weeks of school based on putting in the same effort as I did doing pre-req courses and acing them, and I didn't get an A on any of my first 3 exams as a result, was barely above the cutoff on one of them and had to remediate another. The exams were like none I'd taken before. Imagine taking four or five 5-credit anatomy classes all at once - new language with material you have to not only memorize but understand. That's PA school first semester. That said, getting As and succeeding are very possible - dare I say 'easy' to do once you find your groove - even as a parent, but it'll take a village of sorts to help you through it if you're a parent, and maybe moreso if you're a mom with young kids due to the nature of our beings.

I don't understand why you would throw yourself in PA school and move out with your kids alone without your spouse?

Spouse is probably invested in a stable and secure job, its understandable. 

This does seem to be pushing the boundries a bit. I do know there is another member on this forum (AliB?) who I believe went to PA school with one or two kiddos, and no spouse. Not sure if I remember correctly or not, but It was something pretty crazy like that. So.... its doable, but it will be probably the hardest thing you have ever done in your entire life, and it will be a test to your marriage for sure. 

I am married, and have two kids (5 and 2), but I am a man, and most of us know that men have it easier (you know its true :) ). I do work full time and attend school full time but my wife is a "full time parent" as she likes to call it. As I prepare for PA school I am grateful that she is willing to relocate and we will all move as a family. She will continue to stay at home ofcourse. 

Honestly, if I was in your shoes, and my wife was invested in a job, I would probably not make the decision to go to PA school. I am not sure how your husband feels about this, but I cant imagine living away from my kids and wife for more than 2 or 3 months. If he feels hesitant about this I really cuation you, as this could really challange the strength of your marriage. 

Let us know what you decide. 

Good Luck

Greg

Like Corpsman said, my husband has a very stable, excellent job, of which there are only a few positions and it is very competitive to get, which is why we would prefer to not sacrifice that position since we want to stay in the area long term. 

I was debating whether to chime in on this thread.  :)  Since I've been 'called out', I'll respond.  

I am currently a PA student, and I am a single parent.  I'm not in quite the same situation:  I have 4 under 3 (wasn't part of the plan, but my 'one more' ended up being a triple play!).  

I do not recommend it.  It has been tough and my academic performance has suffered for it.  AND I'm NOT trying to do it on my own.  I have very supportive siblings.  I moved out of my home state for PA school, but luckily for me, one of my brothers works remotely the majority of the time and he more or less relocated to my guest room here.  When the planned 2 was actually 4, I ended up bringing in an au pair as well.  If I didn't have the two of them helping, it wouldn't be possible for me to get through the program successfully.  My situation is not entirely comparable (number or ages), but I can't imagine having to cope with the inevitable "sick day" when one or more has a fever and can't return to day care until they've been 24 hours fever-free as one example.  

With respect to schedules, this program has the typical 8-5 as the normal hours.  But we've had evening lectures at least once or twice a semester (to accommodate a guest lecturer's availability).  We've also had mandatory weekend work a time or two each semester (some of the learning activities that involve real patients!).  Additionally, I cannot emphasize enough that the course load in most programs' didactic year is like nothing most people have experienced.  I also worked full-time, and took pre-reqs (while pregnant and then with a newborn); and I did it as a single parent without the help I have now.  That was a walk in the park compared to the volume and intensity of a PA program.  The semester credit hours are 16, 23, 30, 18 (summer, fall, spring, summer) in the 4 didactic semesters in this program and there is very very little "lightweight" subject matter.  Understand, too, that, to the best of my knowledge, most programs do not teach (via lecture) you everything you have to learn.  Students not only have to study what's been presented during scheduled sessions, but there's additional material that we are responsible for learning outside of the 8-5 time.  

Another thing for OP to consider:  Are you certain you can do ALL of your clinical rotations back in your current city?  Policies vary from program to program and there are standards and legalities to be fulfilled.  If you've confirmed that, great; this program wouldn't promise that option to anyone, and it's unlikely it would happen - at least some of the rotations would be done at their established rotation sites. 

I'm not saying don't do it.  I am saying don't underestimate the sacrifice or effort that will be required.  Don't underestimate the additional support that will be needed.  I think I probably underestimated both and it's been a challenge to still make it all work (and I have a great deal of flexibility that you may not have).  Also, I agree with a previous post, based on observations of others, don't underestimate the stress it can place on relationships if all parties are not 'all-in' on the goal and committed to making the necessary sacrifices.  

Thanks!  I appreciate you weighing in.  I've been mentally comparing it to my experience in law school as far as the work load, but that was before I had kids, so it still leaves some to  the imagination for me.  I know people did law school with kids and even a few single parents, but I wasn't sure if that would be comparable or not since the schedule of law school is different.  I could definitely do my clinicals here, which helps.  This program has a few locations they send people to for clinicals, and our city is one of them.  My husband could keep our kids here, but the idea of not seeing them for 5 days a week for 15-months sounds unbearable.  I really appreciate your candor about your experience. 

Didactic year is really what you make of it. Some students study literally all the time. Most of us do not. In fact most of those that are studying "24/7" are only doing so because they are either studying incorrectly for their learning style or have a learning disability such as ADHD. 

While PA school is difficult, most of us just learn how to survive no matter the situation. I personally had to live in and fix up a house 55 minutes away from campus 2nd semester. For a month I didn't even have a working toilet or shower. But I adapted and finished the semester with a better GPA then the semester before. 

My point is don't give up on PA school because of your situation. I don't care how conducive or non-conducive your situation is, if you do not do something you truly want because the situation "isn't right", you will always regret it. That goes for everything in life. 

• Upvote 2

I had class about 8-12 hours a day.  Sometimes I started at 7 or 8 am, other days I'd start around 11 am, but I'd have class until around 9 pm.  If my day started late, I would study in the morning for maybe 1 or 2 hours. If my classes started and ended early, I would study in the night for about 3 hours.  If my day was long, I would have an hour here and there to get work done.  I did something for my sanity every day though.  I would go to the gym, swim, watch my favorite shows and spend time with loved ones.  On the weekends, I had meetings with my classmates for an hour or two, but the rest of the time, I got some sleep, studied and regained a little sanity.  You definitely have to have self control and work hard, but you need to find balance while you're in school.

Good luck!

I had class about 8-12 hours a day. Sometimes I started at 7 or 8 am, other days I'd start around 11 am, but I'd have class until around 9 pm. If my day started late, I would study in the morning for maybe 1 or 2 hours. If my classes started and ended early, I would study in the night for about 3 hours. If my day was long, I would have an hour here and there to get work done. I did something for my sanity every day though. I would go to the gym, swim, watch my favorite shows and spend time with loved ones. On the weekends, I had meetings with my classmates for an hour or two, but the rest of the time, I got some sleep, studied and regained a little sanity. You definitely have to have self control and work hard, but you need to find balance while you're in school.

Good luck!

You had class until 9 PM?! Or you stayed at school studying until 9? Where did you go to school, was it some sort of community college? We start class at 8 AM every day, and we're done by 5:30 at the latest, usually closer to around 4. I'm going to a program at a state university, so I wonder if that makes a difference. It just seems absurd to me that you would be in class until that late at night, but even more shocking is the idea that any of our faculty would stick around teaching that late.

• 2 weeks later...

Weekdays I was up at 0700.  Headed to class at 0800, study until class starts at 0900.  Lunch at 1200, studied while I ate.  Back in the seat at 1300 and in lecture until 1600 or 1700 dep on the day.  Usually home by 1730.  I had a rule - no homework until kids in bed.  Kids (I had 2 at the time - 4 yo and 6 months) to bed at 2000.  I'd study from 2000-0000 almost every day.  Those were the weekdays.  Saturday I'd walk to the library at 0830 and study there from 0900-1700 then walk home.  I would take about 24 hours off and then pick back up studying from 1800-0000 on Sunday.  I had a supportive wife who did a great job of working hard alongside me so I could do all of this.

It got a little more intense toward the end of didactic year - studied til 0100 every morning for the last 1.5 quarters.  Mid-terms and finals week were much more insane; the school is no longer set up the same way.  It was essentially 80 hours of study or testing in 4 days, but this was only twice each quarter. 

There was a comment above about people like me not knowing how to study for my learning style; either that or people like me have ADHD.  Neither is correct.  I studied that hard because I wanted to do the absolute best I possibly could.  I wanted 100% on every exam and quiz.  This is what I expected of myself.  It is not what I expected from everyone in my class.  I knew that any less studying would not be my absolute best and I had to give my absolute best. 

It is certainly not required to study "24/7."  I think if you study 3 hours each day after 7 hours in class, you're doing just fine.  That leaves a lot of time for ancillaries.

• 2 years later...

Single mom of a 3 yr old and 7 month old. Sun night-Fri afternoon I live in an apartment across the street from campus. Study before school for an hour, during lunch and after school until 9:30, asleep by 10:30 (eat dinner while studying). Maybe 3 days/week I work out. I study until 8:00 on Fridays and drive 45 min home to see my kids until Sunday, return to my apartment around 3:00 on Sundays. I'm extremely fortunate that my parents and their father take care of the kids during the week, and I don't know how I would fare academically even just having my kids around me (I'm easily distracted by them because I feel guilty ignoring them, so we felt my best option was for me to live separately during the week). When I'm with them, I make our time together count. I study on Saturday during nap time and after they go to bed from about 8:30-11:00. Sunday nights I hit the books again. If it's a stressful week as far as tests, I sometimes don't go home to see the kids until Saturday morning and stay up late Friday studying. I'm doing great in school, but like I said, I'm very fortunate for my support system, and I'm very regimented about study time during the week.

I think doing it alone is possibly do-able but it will be extremely challenging. And I'm being very optimistic here. I'm not sure what the situation is between you and your spouse, but that seems like a lot to ask of you while you're in PA school. Do you have any other family that could come to help a few nights a week, or will your DH take over on the weekends? If the answer is NO, I would carefully consider your decision. It would be terrible to invest your time and money, and have to drop out. I would say you'll depend on that weekend time to study since you'll be pressed for time during the week, but everyone is different.  Good luck!