Why does the clinical year cost the same as the didactic year

I'm trying to figure out where the money goes when we aren't in class and just come to take eors.

This is especially confusing when the school doesn't pay preceptors

I know this is for pretty much all PA programs but can't get a straight answer

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

totaaox1 is correct. If you were charged per semester based on the cost of your education, the didactic phase would be extremely high while the clinical phase would be lower (but still costly). Most students have financial aid loans which have a ceiling that wouldn't cover the didactic costs and provide you with living expenses so the programs amortize it over the entire curriculum. Remember, all but a very few PA programs are in not-for-profit educational institutions so your costs are reasonably close to the actual cost of educating you.

Same is true for all nurses and med students too. The University wants the money plan and simple.

Absolutely.

Schools are getting hip to the game very quickly. PA programs can increase revenue for a university substantially. When you take into account what we learn and what we are able to do on clinical rotations, the liability factor warrants the outrageous fees. It is what it is, and in spite of that students are applying by the thousands each year.

The clinical year cost the same as the didactic year because like in every college... you are being charged per Credit.

Graduate credits typically cost much more than undergraduate credit. Sometimes up to $850/credit hour or more...!!

As was stated above... $$$$$$$ is one of the real reasons for the move to masters degrees.

Especially when you consider that there is NO clinical difference or even difference in skillz/clinical accumen between a PA-C with a Masters degree and one with a Certificate from a PA program.

It was about the LOOT..!!!!

I paid $24k for my combined PA/NP certificate

Then paid $1,500 for my Bachelors degree

Then paid $3,500 for my Masteres degree

For the grand total of $29,000...

As a longtime clinical preceptor (Behavioral Medicine), who has precepted ~ 14 students/yr (1-2 students every month from Sep-June)... I'm haviing a really difficult time seeing why you guys are getting charged $80k + for the same education.

Especially when for the most part... We basically teach ourselves the info the first yr. Then leave campus and wander the clerkships the second year. As PA school is self motivated/directed education.

But hey...

The "Kids" bought into the idea that experience doesn't matter and "Advanced Degrees will somehow legitimize our profession."

Now they are complaining about the cost of those advanced degrees... and will likely be complaining about the loss of lateral mobility now that CAQ has been unleashed.

Yep. The school I intend on going to is 81K and they said tuition will raise. The other one I am considering is 61K and same thing, tuition went up. The 81K school charges a whopping 992 dollars per credit, and this is the amount that will increase.

Sucks man sucks. Just wanna do some good in this life and make a decent living but everyone is capitalizing on us :/.

Anyway, no point in going down a negative spiral. My plan is to work 60+ hours my first 2 years and pay off as much as possible, then just bite the bullet for the next few years and plug away. Once I graduate, I intend to still live on 30-40K a year with roommates and whatnot in order to pay back as much of my loans as I can. I'm also consider loan repayment programs though I really do not want to do a rural practice (hoping to find an inner city one, ideally). What can we do? We really have no other choice here.

For every year of school the PHS pays for, you owe them two years. Usually you will work in a high-need area...Indian reservation, federal prison, inner-city clinic, though I know a PHS PA who works on a neuro-surgery team at the NIH. You will get full military benefits while in the PHS -- free health care, housing allowance, commissary privileges, and full retirement after 20 years.

• 2 weeks later...

As a longtime clinical preceptor (Behavioral Medicine), who has precepted ~ 14 students/yr (1-2 students every month from Sep-June)... I'm haviing a really difficult time seeing why you guys are getting charged $80k + for the same education.

Especially when for the most part... We basically teach ourselves the info the first yr. Then leave campus and wander the clerkships the second year. As PA school is self motivated/directed education.

But hey...

The "Kids" bought into the idea that experience doesn't matter and "Advanced Degrees will somehow legitimize our profession."

Now they are complaining about the cost of those advanced degrees... and will likely be complaining about the loss of lateral mobility now that CAQ has been unleashed.

Except if you live in Texas, where the cost of higher education is so damn cheap.

But hey...

Except if you live in Texas, where the cost of higher education is so damn cheap.

Archived