Any ADCOM's out there willing to help??

I have a dilema. Will you help me decide what to do? After figuring out the way CASPA calculates GPA's here are my stats:

GRE 1280

Cum GPA 3.6

Behavioral Science GPA 4.0

English 4.0

Math 4.0

Science GPA 2.80

I made all B's on my science and 2 C's (zoology for vertebrates, Ecotoxicology)

I went to a univ. where you had to have a 95 to get an A (ridiculous) and no plusses or minuses were given. I did well in my science classes but I didn't have a 95 average. But I did have A's in all my other classes including calculus, stats, etc.

I'm taking 2 or 3 science classes this summer to bring up the science GPA. I'm afaid when they see my science gpa then they won't even look at my application unless it's over a 3.

HCE: I'm working for a PA who has a solo practice. He's great and is teaching me so much! I take vitals, medical histories, ekg's. He's also going to train me for injections and anything else he has time for. If I submited CASPA in August I'll have about 500-600 hours with him, 60 hrs of shadowing PA's, and 300 hrs as a pharm tech.

So......... what do I do? Submit now before my gpa is over a 3.0 with few hce hrs or wait until august when my gpa is stronger and have more HCE hrs.

I'm applying to mostly southern schools (MUSC, Lincoln Memorial, South in TN and Savannah, Un. of S. Alabama, etc)

HELP!

this is not just directed at the OP but it kills me that a person can go to a school with such a grading scale and be ok with it untill they start getting Bs and Cs and then it becomes a "ridiculous" grading scale

ok sorry for the vent---the best you can do is take more sciencest o get the GPA---try taking some sciences with a school that has a standard grading scale. Many will let you sign up as non-degree seeking or as a transient student so you do not have to transfer and formally apply

this is not just directed at the OP but it kills me that a person can go to a school with such a grading scale and be ok with it untill they start getting Bs and Cs and then it becomes a "ridiculous" grading scale

ok sorry for the vent---the best you can do is take more sciencest o get the GPA---try taking some sciences with a school that has a standard grading scale. Many will let you sign up as non-degree seeking or as a transient student so you do not have to transfer and formally apply

Your post May not be directed at me but you posted it on my question so it really was aimed at me.

The grading scale makes my A's look very good but caspa doesn't ask for my grading scale.

In my post it says that I'm already planning and signed up for classes this summer.

Which brings me back to my question: Wait until those grades are in or apply earlier?

In my post it says that I'm already planning and signed up for classes this summer.

Which brings me back to my question: Wait until those grades are in or apply earlier?

My two cents. Wait till the grades are in and showing improvement in your most recent academic endeavors. Increase your HCE. If you can do it with the PA you mentioned great. Good luck in your future PA endeavors.

FWIW.

LesH

My two cents. Wait till the grades are in and showing improvement in your most recent academic endeavors. Increase your HCE. If you can do it with the PA you mentioned great. Good luck in your future PA endeavors.

FWIW.

LesH

Thanks LESH for your advice. I think that's what I'll do. I've signed up for 3 science classes so that should really help my GPA.

Yes, I'm planning to continue to work for the PA. I'm working 40-45 hrs a week now. When my classes start in June I'll decrease to 30 hours.

THANKS for your help. You're great!

Anna

I went to a top 20 university myself. When you first get accepted you don't really stop to think about grading scale...you assume all is equal. Not so. We had the same scale. Grade inflation is rampant at the Ivies. Just outside the Ivies you have schools that want in the club. The way to get there is to be tougher than Harvard and Yale. I had several Harvard and Yale trained profs who said we (students) were expected to do twice the work the Harvard and Yale students were. They said that the extracurricular activities were pushed more at the blue blood schools. I went to Vanderbilt. I still love the school in some respects and hate it in others.

Thanks for all the kind words, I'd blush but I need the blood to keep feeding my brain. To the OP there's no need to rush. I mean even if you apply early and lord forbid don't get it you can't go wrong with improving the GPA (especially the sciecne GPA) and boosting those HCE hours. Most programs that I am aware of value that, and look for that in the reapplicant. If a reapplicant comes back the following year the ADCOMs want to see what was different. Some kind of growth. FWIW. Good luck

LesH

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

If LESH and MCHAD are still around I just wanted to say THANKS for your help back in 2010! I'm set to graduate in August and taking the PANCE a week later. I have some interviews scheduled soon afterwards! Very grateful for all I learned on this forum!

If LESH and MCHAD are still around I just wanted to say THANKS for your help back in 2010! I'm set to graduate in August and taking the PANCE a week later. I have some interviews scheduled soon afterwards! Very grateful for all I learned on this forum!

Congrats and good luck with the PANCE.

• 1 month later...

Archived