What are my chances w/ these stats

(I've posted this in two other threads just to get more advice from different people so sorry for repeating it!)

Hello All,

I would like some advice from everyone, please.

Undergrad (Associates of Science in Health Science): Queensborough community college (Overall GPA: 3.27)

Undergrad (Bachelors of Arts in Psychology): CUNY Queens College Overall (GPA: 3.01)

cGPA (using CASPAs method) with both schools combined: 3.02

sGPA (using CASPAs method) with both schools combined: 3.01 (after I finish the current class, Neurology of Pain, and get an A, otherwise it's a 2.97)

I have had 2 Fs from my freshman year in 2008 (Bio 1 and intro to chem) because I was immature.

Cell Bio: C (never retook)

Patho: B-

First time I took Chem 1 I got a D (Lab A-). I retook it and got a C+ and this was due to sustaining a herniated disc (i was in severe pain so couldn't study) and then my grandmother passed away.

Orgo 1: B

Everything else (Everything was at a community college except Biochem):

Bio 1 and 2: A- and B+

A&p 1 and 2: A- and B+

Microbio: A-

Genetics: A-

Chem 1 (retake at a community college) and 2: A and A

Biochem w/ lab: A

Intro to Orgo: A-

Intro to Chem: A

I've also taken a class called Professional Physician Assistant, which was a class explaining the roles of PAs (got an A) and I've taken Medical terminology, which I got an A in as well but I know won't be included in my sGPA.

HCE: so far 3800 hours of volunteer EMT experience

Shadowing PAs: So far 137 hours (75 at one hospital and 62 hours at another but both in the ER)

Honors/Awards: Been on the deans list for 3 semesters

Haven't taken the GRE and I know a professor and my EMT supervisor who will give me a LOR. I have to complete 100 hours at the other hospital where I have 62 hours to get a LOR from a PA. 

I will be applying next year but now I'm limited to schools since my 5 years of science class for Bio 1 and a&p 1 have reached and I don't have the GRE. 

What are my chances of PA school? What else can I do to better my application now?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Just for future reference, posting the same post in 3 different threads will not increase the number/variety of people who see or respond and may in fact result in people refusing to comment.  It's poor forum protocol.

Your best bet is to seek out the 'accepted students stats' page and evaluate/compare yourself there.  The majority of the 'what are my chances' threads result in: maybe.  Depends on the cycle year.  Depends on the schools you choose.  The first step is getting an interview, after that, depends on your interviewing skills.

Your grades are low and HCE is middle of the pack.  Only time will tell.

Just for future reference, posting the same post in 3 different threads will not increase the number/variety of people who see or respond and may in fact result in people refusing to comment.  It's poor forum protocol.

Your best bet is to seek out the 'accepted students stats' page and evaluate/compare yourself there.  The majority of the 'what are my chances' threads result in: maybe.  Depends on the cycle year.  Depends on the schools you choose.  The first step is getting an interview, after that, depends on your interviewing skills.

Your grades are low and HCE is middle of the pack.  Only time will tell.

I will keep that in mind. I thought some people might not catch the threads posted a few days/weeks ago so I started a new one with my own stats. I understand it's bombarding the forum page and won't happen again.

Thank you for your feedback though, I appreciate it. I guess I will have to try taking a class or 2 to boost my GPA slightly more to be even in a little competitive and keep adding on with HCE.

I've also taken a class called Professional Physician Assistant, which was a class explaining the roles of PAs

This is a class? At a college? For credit?!?!?

As you know, your GPA is weak, but it looks like your prerequisite GPA would be pretty solid. I'm not sure that 3800 hours HCE is enough to overcome it, but it may be. If it was 10,000 or so, I'd feel better about your chances. But if you apply widely enough, 3800 might do it. 

Good luck.

This is a class? At a college? For credit?!?!?

As you know, your GPA is weak, but it looks like your prerequisite GPA would be pretty solid. I'm not sure that 3800 hours HCE is enough to overcome it, but it may be. If it was 10,000 or so, I'd feel better about your chances. But if you apply widely enough, 3800 might do it. 

Good luck.

Yes, it's given at Queensborough community college. Very informative on the PA profession and yes, also for credit. Do you suggest retaking cell biology and maybe take a physics course and get my GPA to around 3.1-3.2 even though I know with the amount of credits I have it'll be hard to get it up. I still have a year to apply so I'm sure I'll gain about 1000 hours more. Also, would taking the GRE and doing really good make a difference or my GPA is really messing me up no matter what?

Thank you for your feedback!

If I were you, I'd do whatever it takes to get your GPA above 3.0. That way you'll meet the minimums at quite a few programs. Beyond that, it's going to take too many classes to get your GPA to increase meaningfully. (Keep in mind that new grades don't replace the old ones.) As far as the GRE goes, the prevailing (probably correct) opinion is that just getting a 300 is probably all that matters. 

You'd probably do well learning everything there is to know about as many programs as possible so that you can apply where you've got the best odds.

If I were you, I'd do whatever it takes to get your GPA above 3.0. That way you'll meet the minimums at quite a few programs. Beyond that, it's going to take too many classes to get your GPA to increase meaningfully. (Keep in mind that new grades don't replace the old ones.) As far as the GRE goes, the prevailing (probably correct) opinion is that just getting a 300 is probably all that matters. 

You'd probably do well learning everything there is to know about as many programs as possible so that you can apply where you've got the best odds.

I'm currently taking a bio class, Neurology of Pain, which is 3 credits and if I get an A (which I'm aiming for), I will have a 3.01 GPA using the CASPA's GPA calculator. I will also start contacting schools and ask them. Do you think getting different types of HCE such as phlebotomy or EKG would help or stick to EMT and worry about my GPA?

Are you paid as an EMT? Some programs specify paid medical experience.

Currently just a volunteer but have gotten an offer at a hospital for paid. If I do take that I'll be working a year at least before applying. I will email schools and try applying to the ones that accept volunteering as well then. Thank you!

Thoughts of chances or what to do to increase chances/competitiveness:

-Non-traditional applicant, 29 years old/second career: 2 degrees: BS in biology/chemistry minor Pittsburg State University 2011 (Pittsburg, KS), BHS in Allied Health Clinical Laboratory Science Washburn University 2013 (Topeka, KS) 

combined both degrees GPA

cGPA= 3.1

sGPA= 2.98

-Work experience: Medical equipment sales, Medical Assistant in neurology, nephrology, internal medicine, Phlebotomist, currently Medical Technologist worked in Molecular Diagnostic testing for 2 years, now work as a generalist (microbiology, hematology, coagulation, chemistry, urinalysis, immunohematology so I work in all areas) and do phlebotomy daily as part of the job and sometimes help the nurses out if they need it (total 3+ years experience) @ least 2000 hours direct patient care.  More if you count the phlebotomy I do as a medical technologist.

-Volunteer work: @ Pittsburg state volunteered with the recycling center (15-20 hrs), random community service with frat. and men against violence group (20 hrs) , special Olympics several times and still helping out (20-28 hrs)., clinical intern at rural hospital as a medical technologist (40 hrs), student intern at UNMC free health clinics (3 different clinics 10 hrs) ~120 hours total so far maybe more

-Shadow experience: 40+ hours with a DO in internal medicine, ~40 hours with another DO in general surgery (observed his PA's as well)

biggest thoughts are its been ~5-6 years since I did my core science classes. should I go back and do them and do better or will that not change my GPA much since I already have so many credit hours? did a lot of advanced science classes (cell bio, genetics, immunology etc...) not counting the clinical science classes I did to become a medical technologist (all clinical classes: hematology 1/2, chemistry 1/2, coagulation 1/2, microbiology 1/2, urinalysis 1/2, immunohematology 1/2, molecular, etc.)

So what are your Thoughts?

Ford2013- First, it is not a good idea to hijack other posters threads. Just start a new one.

Now, to your question.

Your GPA is definitely lacking, and some schools may not consider your MT experience as direct patient care. Have you taken the GRE test?

If you do decide to apply, do a search of schools that view candidates holistically, as you may have a better chance.

I would personally suggest waiting (your not too old) a year and trying to get your science GPA at least above 3.0. I feel many schools may have an automatic cut off below 3.0 

Good luck

-Greg

My bad, I'm a new to all this forum stuff.  No I have not taken the GRE yet, and I've been thinking of retaking the science classes I did poor in when I was younger (Gen chem 1/2, orgainc 1/2, Immunology, Cell bio) I really think I can do better now as I've matured and started to connect the lines with the stuff I struggled with (didn't understand well). My thoughts were since I have 189credit hours/569 points, if I got A's in those classes if it would really change much.  Thanks for the reply and sorry again about the hijacking.

Archived