Accepted with low GRE score

It's hard to improve unless you dramatically increase your prep work....especially if you've already taken it a few times.

At this point, you just need to apply to schools that your score qualifies for. That might mean schools that accept <50th percentile or programs that don't require the GRE.

Best of luck.

There are rumors (I have no idea if they have been validated) that 300 is typically the 'cut off'.  I would say a 299 is close enough and not to worry about it, but if a school uses GRE as a filter for apps, they may not look at any apps with less than 300 in which case that 1 point could make or break your chances.   It's a gamble.  You're on the bubble.

If you're close to the 50 %ile with good grades, HCE, LORs, and an interesting essay, I suspect you'll be considered at many places. 

There is so much variability in the sum of everything you submit. Achievement often wins out over a standardized test that may or may not accurately assess you.

Good luck.

My GRE score was nothing to brag about (<300), but didn't seem to be an issue. I think it really depends on where you apply and your entire application. If you have several weak areas, it may be worth continuing to raise that score. But, if the rest of your app is solid, I'd say go for it!

Archived