2016-2017 Application Cycle

Hi Everyone!

Congrats to all those accepted, and good luck to everyone still waiting or waiting to hear from other schools :)

I got an interview for Nov 12th as well. I am really excited but I was wondering if anyone could give advice on the interview process. For those who were interviewed- what do you think went well, what didn't? Did you think there was any one major thing or conversation that got you accepted? Do you feel like they got a general idea of who you were in that short amount of time?

And what was the day like?

Thanks so much!!! 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone!

Congrats to all those accepted, and good luck to everyone still waiting or waiting to hear from other schools :)

I got an interview for Nov 12th as well. I am really excited but I was wondering if anyone could give advice on the interview process. For those who were interviewed- what do you think went well, what didn't? Did you think there was any one major thing or conversation that got you accepted? Do you feel like they got a general idea of who you were in that short amount of time?

And what was the day like?

Thanks so much!!!

As cliche as it may sound, the best thing you can do is be yourself. They want to get to know you not the person you have been practicing to be. The day is fairly relaxed, there is an interview, tour, writing sample and an intro to the program first up. There is also an informal meet and greet on Friday evening, highly recommend going as the current student answered a bunch of question for me.

I felt like I was myself and spoke candidly in my interviews and I was accepted.

It is most common for UNE to invite students to interview about 3-4 weeks before the date, but I just got my interview date for 10/22 on 10/14. Just don't feel discouraged if the interview date is nearing and you haven't heard anything! They don't seem to stick to any specific pattern. I know I was feeling bummed after reading posts on the forum about other people having interviews when I hadn't heard anything. Definitely looking forward to meeting everyone on Friday/Saturday!

PAhopeful1616-

I agree with milesHenson1 about being yourself! UNE really stresses this, and looks for students who will work well together. They also look for maturity in your answers. Don't be nervous! When they ask questions, make it as personable as possible. I think this is what helped me get in! Again, good luck!

Hi all!

Just received an invite for December 3rd! So happy to be interviewing here! Does anyone know how many seats in the class have already been filled?

Sarah

Hi, I'm not sure exactly how many spots have been filled, but congrats on your interview! My advice is to not even think about the number of spots left. You got past one of the hardest steps by just getting the interview! Good luck!

Interviewing at UNE was actually kind of fun! WIERD! For those still interviewing in December, I wouldn't worry about spots. They seem as if they give everyone who interviews a fair and equal chance, and they made it very clear that even waitlisted spots often get in. It was an amazing city and I had fun meeting a lot of great people. Goodluck to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Interviewing at UNE was actually kind of fun! WIERD! For those still interviewing in December, I wouldn't worry about spots. They seem as if they give everyone who interviews a fair and equal chance, and they made it very clear that even waitlisted spots often get in. It was an amazing city and I had fun meeting a lot of great people. Goodluck to everyone!

Anything you recommend brushing up on before the interview? We're the questions fairly standard?

Yes, have Fun at the interview --- it was definitely one of the more relaxed programs I interviewed at, in large part because there was no group interview (these were tough for me).

The interview will consist of standardized questions, so everyone interviewing that day will have the same questions asked of them. My word of advice is to Be SURE to share YOUR story, and to incorporate your own experiences into your answers. You will not be asked directly to 'tell your story,' so make sure you do so anyway. They may ask you an open ended question ---- well, take it in a direction that shines the light on you, your accomplishments, and the wonderful things you will bring with you into the program and profession. I made sure to have a list of ~3 main key points that I wanted to MAKE SURE that my interviews knew about me when I left the room, and darn it, I think they got the message! Be yourself, share your experiences and your story, but know that they aren't going to go digging for the information --- you will have to offer it up if you want them to know it.

The time goes quick! But they also won't cut you off while answering a question. If you want to spend 10 minutes on one question, they won't stop you (they might redirect a little).

I had the opportunity to ask a question of each interviewer at the end, but the whole thing flew by a lot more quickly than I had expected.

Just know who you are, what values you stand for, what experiences you've had that apply to various situations, and know your story of how you will and want to contribute to the profession, for this is the excitement that Adcoms can see.

Anyway, have fun with it and good luck everyone! I was accepted and have already put down the first deposit, but I just declined my seat today because I have been accepted at a (similar style) program on the West coast where I live. So good news is there is one more seat available for sure.

Cheers

Still holding out hope for an interview! It is torture to see an email notification only to see it is just another Black Friday Sale!  There is the Scheduled Dec. Interview and they hold a January Interview if needed.  Fingers crossed! I only applied to UNE as I just bought a house in Maine and want to stay in Maine.  Feels like a Hail Mary Pass at this point...

Still holding out hope for an interview! It is torture to see an email notification only to see it is just another Black Friday Sale! There is the Scheduled Dec. Interview and they hold a January Interview if needed. Fingers crossed! I only applied to UNE as I just bought a house in Maine and want to stay in Maine. Feels like a Hail Mary Pass at this point...

I'm holding out hope as well... I talked to admissions today and they said the committee is still reviewing applications and have not sent out all invites for December... Fingers Crossed.

Archived