Offer from Great Job, Waiting on Dream Job...what to do?

Hey all.

So things have picked up for me significantly recently.

I've been interviewing like crazy and have a solid offer from a great job in my current specialty. However, I had another interview that went REALLY well. It is basically my dream job in my dream specialty.

My dream job said that they wouldn't get back to me until the end of the next week with an answer.

Obviously, I'm concerned about holding out for this job and losing the one that I was able to secure. I am inexperienced with these kinds of things.

What would you all recommend doing in this situation?

Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I believe if it's meant to be now, then it will work out. Go with what's available. Gives dream job a week to make up their mind.

So you are recommending that I accept the job and then back out if the other job gives me an offer?

Just clarifying.

• Administrator

I would ask the first one when they needed a firm response.  Be open that you're working on multiple offers.  Worst thing they can say is "now or never", but I've had people up offers just if they knew I was also considering others, but that was in IT, not in medicine.

I don't think a week is unreasonable to make a significant life decision as to whether or not to take a job.

I recently had 2 offers at once and needed time to think it over, neither institution had a problem with that.

I read an interesting article in Forbes a few weeks ago....the time when you are most coveted/desired in the eyes of an employer is when they are trying to hire you. So if you are being beat around the bush or an instiution "demands" a decision in a matter of a day or two, they probably aren't the most reasonable position. They should respect that as a prospective PA you have many options and a right to explore those options (within a timely manner of course).

Good luck! Sounds like a win win for you. 

Ask the job offer for the week. Tell them honestly that you have many factors to consider and do have other offers.

If they really want you - they will understand and also be forewarned that they may have to sweeten the pot or be prepared for negotiations.

The dream job could come back with a turd of an offer.

If you tell the jobs honestly that X DATE is your timeline then everyone has the same info and you don't have to remember fibs or white lies. Those could come back to bite you in the behind.

Start and stay honest and up front. Avoid phrases like "you are my second choice" - then you end up with no job at all.

It looks like this isn't really going to be an issue anyway.

After having a question about the contract, I attempted to contact the office manager of the position that I was offered. It turns out she is out of the office until Tuesday anyway (which is when I'll be able to discuss this with her). I should know about the other job by next Friday. I'm sure they could wait 3 days.

I completely forgot that we are approaching a holiday weekend!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

The dream job could come back with a turd of an offer.

This is exactly what happened (surprisingly on a Sunday). The offer was so bad that there's no reason to even get into specifics.

I'd also like to downgrade the "great job" to an okay job based on new findings.

Archived