Retaking Courses

Hello!

I took a 5 unit General Chemistry I course at my old school and I got a D+ in it. All my other science courses I've gotten A's in. Im wondering if it would help my chances of getting into a pa program if I retook that class and just finished the whole chemistry sequence.  Any type of advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Administrator

Yes, it will help.  The bigger question is, "will it help more than if you just took other, higher level science courses?" and based on how basic it is, I suspect the answer is yes.  For one thing, basic chemistry is regarded as a prerequisite by many schools, and many of THOSE will not anything less than a C, or more commonly a B, in any prerequisite course.

CASPA does not do grade replacement, however, so if you retake that and get an A, you will average 5 credits of A with 5 credits of D+.

Hello,

I am applying this round.  I am signed up for a Physiology class that starts next week. I'll work from 8-5 pm and then go to class from 5:30-10 pm M-Th. I have already taken this class, but I'm signed up in case I don't get in to PA School this round since the next year my original physiology class will be outside the five year mark. I'm really nervous to take this class while balancing other things, and I wonder if it would be a waste of time if I did get into PA school. I could always take it in the fall or spring. What do you think? 

• Administrator

Physiology is never a waste.  Like learning CPR, you may cover the same material again, but I've found that each time you cover the same material, you learn a little bit more.  I can't really speak to whether or not it will help you get IN to PA school, but, once in, anatomy and physiology were by far the most relevant prerequisite courses for me, with statistics a distant second.

Archived