Personal Statement- "Competitive" being good or bad?

Hi guys,

I am working on my personal statement, and while many PA school admissions pages say they want competitive applicants I am writing something that may hinder my statement. I can't seem to deem this as inappropriate or appropriate.

"The physician assistant profession relies on collaboration and teamwork. I by nature have never been competitive, I spent a lot of my college years helping and building up my classmates. I view my peers as a collectivist, wanting everyone to succeed. "

Any feedback would be excellent!

Thank you!

BUT, you may want to reword that sentance so you dont admit not being competative.

"The physician assistant profession relies on collaboration and teamwork. I by nature have never been competitive (Put something else here), I spent a lot of my college years helping and building up my classmates. I view my peers as a collectivist, wanting everyone to succeed. "

Otherwise the sentance is pretty good I would say. 

*I am not saying that they want you to be competative, but rather that its somewhat unnecessary. 

It's the classic case of stating things in the negative or the positive.

You are collaborative, work well in groups, interact well with people at all levels, take criticism as a proactive force for change, etc.

In my first day of PA school, the program director told us that the competition was over; we were all in. Someday we would be referring patients to each other and the like. I think that's the attitude to go for. In our group interviews, rather than putting each other down, you find something that someone else said and extend it.

Get the picture?

Archived