For PA School: What's a better experience, volunteering as an ER Tech or Volunteering as a Medical Scribe?

I was a Medic (3 years) in the U.S. Army, deployed for 1 year to, Afghanistan, and worked worked under a PA. I start school (from ground zero) next August, and plan to get my bachelor's in kinesiology. I need more volunteer hours, and looking at being an ER Tech or Medical Scribe.

Tech is great for getting hands-on experience (which you already have).  Scribe, while not quite "hands on", is great for learning about the practice of medicine, decision-making, etc.  As a tech, you likely would not learn about what types of tests to order for what signs/symptoms, when to do a CT with or without contrast, when to get serial cardiac enzymes versus just one set, how to get a detailed history of what brought the patient to you (for example, they didn't just fall off a step stool injuring their arm, they had chest pain and shortness of breath first), etc.  At least, this is the case with ER scribe in most places.  Some national scribe companies have part-time scribes, where you'd just work 2 times per week.  Perhaps some private offices have volunteer scribes, but I'm not sure how that works. 

I was a Medic (3 years) in the U.S. Army, deployed for 1 year to, Afghanistan, and worked worked under a PA. I start school (from ground zero) next August, and plan to get my bachelor's in kinesiology. I need more volunteer hours, and looking at being an ER Tech or Medical Scribe.

I was a medic as well (4 years, 2 tours) so I was in a similar position as you. You have the quality HCE and worked alongside a PA so I wouldn't worry about HCE or the practice of medicine. When I was interviewing one of the things I was asked was what kind of experience have I had with underserved communities. While I have deployed to Iraq twice and treated locals where there was a ethnic, language, and culture barrier, the interviewers would have liked to have some experience with underserved in the US.

So what I would suggest is that while you still have your EMT-B credentials go ahead and volunteer as an EMT, perhaps at a high paced urban ambulance volunteer station. That way you can continue accruing HCE and volunteer hours. What I did was volunteer at a hospice, while it was not HCE it did count to as volunteer hours and I could go anytime I was free, no set schedule.

With that said, keep contact with the PAs you have worked with for a letter of recommendation and maintain contact. 4 years from now it may be difficult trying to get an LOR if someone has been discharged, retired, PCS'd, or deployed. Also don't kill yourself with a high course load, I attempted that and hit a few bumps along the way. Regardless you have a good foundation to build from, if you have any questions about the process, shoot me a PM, always happy to help a brother out.

If you're just looking for volunteer hours (and not HCE specifically) volunteer in something you have a personal interest in - don't be free labor. The two positions you mention are typically paid jobs.

I agree. You can help people in many ways. Why not check out your local food bank?

I also don't wanna commit to a job since I'm gonna be busy with a full-course (15-19 units per semester) load of school.*

I've never seen a volunteer position for either scribe or tech...they're both generally paid positions (can be full time, part time, or per diem) and tech spots in the ER are usually pretty difficult to get.  If you want to be a volunteer, you can usually volunteer in the hospital ER; however, you're not a tech.  Tech's usually require an EMT license.  In my experience in being a hospital ER volunteer and working as a tech in a hospital, the volunteers generally turn rooms (clear linens, clean surfaces, restock supplies), assist patients with water/food/juice (depending on diet - have to check with tech/RN), blankets, etc., restock carts, supply rooms, blanket warmers, etc., and once you get to know some of the staff you can watch some procedures.  I never provided any hands on care as a volunteer and have never seen a volunteer provide any hands on care.  Scribes are that, they take notes for the doctor.  They don't usually provide hands on care and I've never seen a volunteer scribe either.  Hope that helps.

Working a paid job will help with your application and your health care experience/patient care experience.  Working and going to school full time can be tough, but it can be done.  I was taking prereqs working 50 hours a week, changed careers to my current tech job, which is full time, planned a wedding, got married, moved, and have maintained a social life, all while taking 15 units (10 of which are science prereqs with labs) and maintained a 4.0.  Not to toot my own horn, but just saying if you have the will, you'll find a way.

Thank you, all. Finally, I'm getting real-world insight and advice.

You guys should know that, my Cert expired 2 years ago. I was going through a really REALLY rough time transitioning (from the Army) back to civilian life, but I'm doing really good now. I'm about to get signed for an EMT class that starts next June, and I feel like I need it. I haven't done anything medical related since, 2013. I'm looking into working part-time (12 hour a week as an ER Tech), since I would benefit from more hands on experience, and accrue more HCE. I don't just wanna fetch items for people as a Volunteer. I'm now looking into volunteering at the, VA, or with kids on probation. 

Do you guys have any more advice?

Again thank you, all.

It really depends on where you are. The ER I volunteered at allowed me to take vital signs, assist with/observe procedures, do EKGs, and even CPR, as well as restocking rooms and assisting patients. So they are out there! I had to spend a few months doing the grunt work, but once they got to know me I gradually was able to do more things. I volunteered there for almost 3 years and accumulated around 500 hours.

Archived