Bachelor's in Psychology rather than Biology?

The school I am currently attending offers BS degrees in both Biology and Psychology. I know for the PA program it would probably be better to get the BS in Biology, but I am a transfer student who just changed to this school and already have so a lot of credits in psychology. I've been in school for a few years and just want my Bachelor's already, so it would be easier for me to get my BS in Psychology rather than Bio. As long as I take the pre-reqs needed for the PA program, do you think my school will give me a hard time when I apply to the PA program?

My bachelors are in criminology/criminal justice and sociology with a minor in psych. I have a masters in social work as well. I took the pre reqs needed for about half the schools (i took the chem sequences instead of the bio 1 &2 route) and so far I have gotten accepted to one school and offered interviews at all other schools I applied to where I didnt end up withdrawing my application (because I got into a school higher on my list)....hope that helps!

My undergraduate degree is in Theatre and Humanities, so that totally proves that it doesn't really matter what your degree is in. What matters most is how much experience you have (I had 10 years in pharmacy as a tech, lots of shadowing and volunteer experience as well) and also having a clear understanding of why it is you want to be a PA (and making that extremely apparent in your personal statement and at interviews). I also had a good overall GPA and an excellent pre-req GPA (I'm sure the pre-req GPA also helped me a little) and I got into my first choice! Good luck in your pursuit!

Psych major here. Well represented in my PA class.

Get A's, rock the science classes, get plenty of experience in the real world. Turn your psych degree into an asset. I didn't have to study as much for the neuro or psych modules in genmed.

Good advice here. Prospective PA students with degrees in biology are a dime a dozen. Nothing wrong with that; it's just a fact. Use your psychology degree to your advantage; demonstrate how it makes you a well-rounded applicant.

My bachelor's is in vocal performance, and I know students who got into school with english degrees.

Archived