Licenses in Other States

I have licenses and controlled substance registrations in two adjacent states. I have no immediate plans to move back to the area of my first job, but a colleague once told me to also keep all licenses up to date just in case. I renewed last year, but thinking about letting it lapse. $150 is a fair chunk of money that adds up.

Any advice?

• Administrator

That $150 is a deductible business expense, so factor that in. I have a preference to hold on to things like that, and it has served me well in the past, but yes, there are times at which it no longer makes sense to be certified in or licensed for some things.

Honestly I would keep it for the time being. I would only let it lapse if you moved far, far away and had no plans to ever return. (I did let my OR license lapse when I moved 3000 mi to SC...not to mention OR license is ridiculously expensive to maintain. OTOH, I just renewed my SC license for 2 more years which will get me through med school and into residency...but it was $50 to renew for 2 yr. Yes, $50.)

This is just my opinion... but you never know what life will bring you... and I really think it depends on how difficult it is to GET a license in the state you are thinking of giving up the license in. IE. I left Oregon years ago and thought I would never be back here. Now I am back here, and am SO SORRY I let my license go. Its taken me 6 months to get my license with all the paperwork etc that Oregon requires that no other state I've been licensed in requires. So... even though its expensive here, if I ever left again, I think I'd maintain it... just in case :)

Archived