International Medical Missions Questions

Hey everybody, 

I am a 20 year old male Pre-PA student studying Biology currently. I have wanted to be a PA since I first learned about the profession when I was a freshman in high school. I am now a sophomore in college and am working at the local hospital (300+ beds) as a "float" CNA. I have about 900ish hours so far. I also have my EMT license and was blessed with a position in a rural ER just outside of town (15 beds) as an ER Tech, but have not been able to start that position yet due a rigorous and busy semester for me. I plan to start working there early this summer. My GPA is currently hovering around 3.4. I have been on multiple mission trips all over the world. Spain, Honduras, India, and many within America. Only 1 medical mission trip so far that was to India. So first of all, from what I have researched and read, I have pretty decent chances to get into PA school my first attempt if I apply broadly. Is this true? What do some experienced PA's have to say about my experience?

So, now for the main reason for this post. After I graduate from PA school and get a couple years experience under my belt (hopefully in emergency or family medicine), I plan on doing international medical missions part time. Does anyone have any experience working as a PA in medical missions? I know it is difficult for PA's to gain credibility around the globe (hopefully it is getting better/easier), but do organizations allow PA's to provide care in other countries? Is it difficult for PA's to gain acceptance into these organizations? Or is it just doctors that are "allowed" to provide care in these third world countries I am hoping to help one day.

Also, from what I understand, there are some PA programs that give preference to those students who show and really believe that they want to work in rural medicine. Would I be a good applicant for these schools? Also, are there any schools that have any inclination or experience with sending students or graduates on Medical Missions? 

I have read some threads on here about this subject, but I just want to know more about it and see what else people have to say about it because I know I can't be the only Pre-PA or even professional PA wondering about this.

I know there were a lot of questions in this one thread, but don't think you have to answer all of them. I will be happy with any amount of feedback, whether good or bad.

Thanks in advance for your input! I really do appreciate it.

Archived