Applying to program across country . . .wife wife and two kids.

Hi all,

I am considering applying this cycle to three schools in which I am most qualified for. These being:

University of Washington MEDEX

Oregon Heath & Science University

University of Utah

I do qualify for some programs in the Midwest, and also on the east coast, but this may being pushing it for me. Then again, if I am willing to relocate to Washington what's the difference right?

I currently live and work in Tucson, AZ.

I have searched on this website and elsewhere, and have not found much luck on PA students who moved across country to PA school with their entire family, including kids.

Is this a sacrifice worth making? Also--speaking hypothetically of course--if I get accepted, and if I graduate do I have to practice in the state in which I graduate for a designated amount of time, or can I simply pack my bags and head back to AZ? I probably wouldn't mind living in any of those states, but just curious.

Thanks

-Greg

Noting your title have you thought about the UNC Chapel Hill Program that favors military experience?  The cost of living is also much lower than the above except for Utah, perhaps.  

The other thing is that you are applying only to very highly ranked programs, something like applying in undergrad to only Stanford, Yale, and Harvard.  

I applied to schools in many different parts of the country.  I chose one in FL and I moved from TX.  I don't have a spouse, but I did have a 2 year old (at the time) ... and a 2.5 week old when I started my program.  Since I was pregnant, I moved 90% of my household 1.5 months before my program started so that I wouldn't have to deal with it within a week or two after giving birth.  Good choice since my newborn spent 8 days in NICU and I had some ICU time and multiple blood transfusions.  Luckily my dr knew all my plans and did all she could to help me stick to my plans.  Longer story there, but back to your question.

My children are small, so uprooting them wasn't a factor.  I did take some extra time investigating day care options.  Students in the class ahead of me were helpful in that regard.  I decided to live as close as reasonable to the school so that I had very little commute time and could come home for lunch or a break if opportunity presented itself.  Another good choice.  

Re: spouse.  That's probably your biggest consideration.  PA school is going to require their 110% support ... and they probably have NO idea what that can mean.  :)  If you add in a move, and that's away from existing family and/or support system, and that's problematic for them, that's where your problems are going to erupt.  Most of my family is in Texas and I have no support system here, but one of my brothers (who works from home) essentially spends 98% of his time here and helps me; one of my sons is in university 3 hours away too.  If your spouse is 'all in' supporting your goal, just keep in mind that it's a 2 year or so commitment and you can survive most anything that long!  I have a classmate/colleague who also moved from TX with her spouse.  They don't have children so that wasn't a factor.  Her husband is a web developer and can do most of his work from anywhere, so that gave them a great deal of flexibility to move wherever she was accepted.  Another classmate's spouse found a job after they moved here.  

There's no reason you have to stay where you go to school.  You'll make all kinds of contacts in that area with local rotations, but lots of people head off to other parts of the country, or back to their former home region when they are done with the schooling part.  One of the most oft recommended approaches is to try to get one or more rotations in wherever you plan to go as a PA.  That's more challenging to do when you have family just due to logistics, but I have requested, and provided contact information for sites, to do some of my rotations in Texas.  I am currently in didactic year, and I don't know how I'll manage that if it's some in FL and some in TX, and back and forth, but I'll deal with that when the time comes.  Side note:  I've joined FAPA but I kept my membership in TAPA so I keep up with what's happening for PAs there. 

Moved my pregnant wife from Maryland to California (not PA school related). Then moved my wife and infant to MD for undergrad. Just moved my wife and toddler to NC to start PA school in a few months.

Take them with you for the interview. While you interview, they drive around and look at neighborhoods, shopping centers, playgrounds, etc.

Remember: happy wife, happy life. This journey isn't just about you, it's about your family.

Corpsman Guy whats up, This just so happens to be my very first post on here. I too am married with a 3 years old, and just so happen to be applying to medex this cycle. I am a fellow veteran, and I wish you the best. Your right about it not being just about me, but about my family also. Couple years ago my wife was all about the idea of moving away, now recently she seems a bit more hesitant. Being a man of faith, im just going to apply, and see what doors God opens and which doors close. Who knows, maybe well meet up in Washington.

First, thank you for all your responses!

I see some of you have really sacraficed a lot for better opportunities, and I respect you all for that. 

I am incredibly fortunate to have my wife in my life. She is very supportive of me applying this cycle, and is even excited about it. However, she often overlooks some realistic hardships, that may come our way because of this. She has always been very optomistic, and I have always been more realistic in this regard. I will also add, that my wife is a "full time parent," as she likes to say, and we also home school my daughter who is 5, and do some minor things with our 2 year old. 

If there is one thing I have learned through my time in the Navy, and my time in school is that anything is really possible if you have the drive a motivation to achieve your goals, and PA school is one I full heartedly plan to fulfilll. So I think it is settled. 

Louisnlife: I hope to meet you, and good luck!

Cop to PA: That qoute is essential to a good marriage!

AliB: Wow, you are quite an amazing individual to push through what you did, and im sure it speaks volumes to your fellow PA students. 

As far as UNC Chapel Hill, are the pre-reqs the same as the non-veteran program? I couldnt find any information on the veterans specific program? It seems as though I do qualify for UNC, but I would have to check if I can fulfill the biology pre-req as I only have Biology I. I have immunilogy, and histology, but they are 100-200 level? WIll that suffice?

Also, I am applying to these programs, because I qualify for them. I am a non-traditional student: 26, just finishing BS, was in the Navy for 5 years, work in the laboratory now, have approx 12,000 hours of HCE, have a good GPA (approx 3.5-3.7). However, I lack O Chem I & II, Biochem, Genetics, and many upper level (300-400) biology/science courses. 

Thank you for your time!

-Greg

Suggestions regarding your school choices:

Look at the areas/which campus you would be most interested in for MEDEX - Seattle (where I'm at) is insanely expensive & traffic is ridiculous, but it's also a gorgeous city with a lot to offer outdoor lovers; Spokane is nice and pretty family friendly (plus more sun); and Anchorage is beautiful but a pretty big move & also expensive.

University of Utah (where I did my undergrad) is great and Salt Lake is very family friendly with a reasonable cost of living. Plus traffic is not bad and public transit is pretty god.

Haven't spent much time in Portland, but I do love OR in general.

You've picked some great schools in good locations! Good luck to you & I look forward to hearing about your application process & the outcome!

after reading bit further it looks like I will be able to apply to Midwestern University in Phoenix as well. They only require your BS by Matriculation and, while they do require O Chem I, they only require that it be done prior to matriculation which means I will be able to take the class in the Spring 2017 and still attend. This is all pending actual acceptance though ha-ha.

I am currently scanning the country for other prospective programs, but would like to stay on the west coast.

Lanime: I did a quick Zillow search to look at how much houses go for rent up near Seattle and holy cow! Currently I pay 1195 a month in rent to pay for a 3 bed 3 bath, 2000 sq ft. house on an acre, and I can barely get a 2 bedroom crappy apartment for that in seattle! Spokane sounds much better.

In regards to MEDEX, once accepted do you get to choose what campus you want to attend? Or do they just put you where the seat is?

Thanks

-Greg

Greg, Good luck with your plans. I am currently moving myself and fiance due to PA school, and it is a PAIN to say the least. A LOT of logistics come into play. I can't imagine having to keep a little one in your mind when making up the plans, let alone a 2.5 week old like Ali did (incredible and very inspirational btw)

I wish you the best, and thank you for your service

Yes, the kiddos are what make me worried, and concerned. They are still relatively young ( 5 and 2), and we homeschool our 5 year old so we can pick up leave as we wish. As stated earlier, we also rent right now so we just have to plan that right.

I have always been good with finances, and cringe when thinking about loans, but if that is what it will take to achieve this goal, then we will do it. However, I am hoping to apply for the Navy HSCP scholarship, but I know how competitive that is as well. So many hurdle ahead of me. But I think I can do it.

Thanks for all the help!

-Greg

Archived