What do you think my chances are of getting into a PA school with this GPA and experience?

Hey all,

I am currently going to school to get my BS in Human Health/Physiology. I want to go to PA school. My overall GPA is a 3.04, but my science GPA is only a 2.8. When I apply I will have about 1000 paid patient hours working at one of the best hospitals in the nation as a CNA. I also have about 300 volunteer hours. I will be graduating this summer.

Is there any chance of me still being able to get into some of these schools? I am worried that although my overall GPA is above a 3.0, my science GPA is only 2.8. If don't get in on my first try, can I still retake some of the science courses I did poorly in to try and get my science GPA up, or will it be too late since I will already have graduated?

Thank you.

Heya,

For starters, the physician assistant profession is a rapidly growing and highly competitive one. This you need to keep in mind when you apply to your programs of choice.

GPA and experience needed really depends on the program itself. However, I've noticed the average MINIMUM required experience is 1000 hours while the RECOMMENDED experience is 2000 hours for many programs. You are at the required amount, which is nice, but go back to what I said. You may be competing with people who have thousands of hours; paramedics, nurses, CNAs, etc. I would suggest acquiring more experience, but since you're at the minimum you may be good. Again, depends on the program of your choosing.

Your GPA may need some work, especially your science based GPA. Most programs I've seen require a 3.5 MINIMUM before they'd even look at your resume. That doesn't mean you're out of luck. You may need to retake some classes or take some more classes to bump up your GPA.

Everyone makes mistakes. I, myself, retook Genetics because of a rough semester. I ended up getting accepted to the program of my choosing. Of course, they asked me why and I explained myself. I did this AFTER I graduated with my bachelors, so it's not too late for you.

Unfortunately that's just how it is. You need to wow them on paper before you can wow them at the interview. I'm not saying you don't have a chance. The PA profession is expanding very rapidly. It's a very exciting prospect and a lot of people are interested in the field and because of this many programs are expanding to meet the demand. I'd personally suggest trying to bump up your GPA, as I really don't think it's too late.

Good luck.

In my opinion, you have almost no chance of getting in this cycle. You need to raise both your science and cumulative GPA to have a shot. You can take as much time as you need after graduation to do this. Schools don't expect all their students to be fresh grads (and many prefer that they aren't).

Thanks for the answers.  If I retake classes after I graduate, does it directly replace the grade for my GPA?  Surely it cannot directly replace it on my university transcript since I already graduated, correct?  I'm trying to figure out how retaking classes after graduation works.  What GPA does that affect?  In CASPA, is it a direct replacement for the old grade, and then CASPA recalculates the GPA with the new grade?  Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the answers.  If I retake classes after I graduate, does it directly replace the grade for my GPA?  Surely it cannot directly replace it on my university transcript since I already graduated, correct?  I'm trying to figure out how retaking classes after graduation works.  What GPA does that affect?  In CASPA, is it a direct replacement for the old grade, and then CASPA recalculates the GPA with the new grade?  Thanks for the help.

The new grade won't replace an old one. It will average into your GPA along with all of the others. That's why raising a weak GPA is such a steep hill to climb...because every single class you've ever taken counts.

Some people have made it in with low GPAs (a few posters on here included). But generally they've had large amounts of high quality experience. 1000 hours as a CNA probably isn't going to do it for you.  

Archived