Low GRE for high GPA?

Not necessarily.  If a school uses GRE as a filter, as they may do, 290 probably won't make the cut.  It really depends on the school and how they filter applications.  With a lot of schools getting thousands of apps, they can't look at too many factors when deciding who makes it to the next round of review.

Retake the GRE.  The general consensus is that a 300 is the unspoken minimum.

I agree that 300 (50%tile) has become a minimum for schools that require a GRE (paea has sorting criteria to see who does). I'd add that a low GRE with a high GPA can be seen as a red flag for grade inflation especially if the grades were earned at a school with a reputation for being easy.

• Administrator

I agree that 300 (50%tile) has become a minimum for schools that require a GRE (paea has sorting criteria to see who does). I'd add that a low GRE with a high GPA can be seen as a red flag for grade inflation especially if the grades were earned at a school with a reputation for being easy.

Or, alternatively, as someone who really works hard, but chokes on tests.

PA programs are ranked in large part by their PANCE pass rate.  Why would any Adcom want to take a chance on someone with a higher-than-average chance of blowing their numbers on the first time pass rate?

Archived