Volunteer Hours

Hey guys,

I am looking to apply this coming cycle. I have worked as a certified ophthalmic assistant full-time for 3 years, and I also completed a masters degree in pathology. I don't have any volunteer hours (not since before college), but I have 3 years of direct patient care experience. I know I have time to do volunteer hours, but is it something that is really necessary for PA school, or is it just a way for many applicants to get their clinical experience?

Thanks! :)

• Administrator

Don't do it for box checking.  If you're not the volunteering type, don't bother.  Just realize that some schools will hold NOT volunteering against you... but that's OK, that's probably not where you wanted to go anyways.

I'm pretty happy with how I applied to 5 different schools my second year, each of which I'd done my research on, and solidly ended up at the place that best matched me.  If you try and be all things to all people, you can get "the call" from a school where you've fooled them into thinking you're what they're looking for, and you've maybe even fooled yourself into thinking that you'll be happy there.

Point being, be yourself.  Good or bad, you'll find out where you're wanted... or not.

Thanks everyone! I have had tons of clinical experience. I have worked and shadowed with PAs and I have found that this is the best role for me. I would hate for something like volunteer hours to hold me back from reaching my goals. I really would love to do international outreach but at this point in my career those opportunities are few and far between.

I appreciate your input and I agree that I have to be myself. I know that I have a passion for helping people even if I am not volunteering my time. I have devoted my life to helping my patients, regardless of if I were ever to become a PA.

Thanks everyone! I have had tons of clinical experience. I have worked and shadowed with PAs and I have found that this is the best role for me. I would hate for something like volunteer hours to hold me back from reaching my goals. I really would love to do international outreach but at this point in my career those opportunities are few and far between.

I appreciate your input and I agree that I have to be myself. I know that I have a passion for helping people even if I am not volunteering my time. I have devoted my life to helping my patients, regardless of if I were ever to become a PA.

what does your gpa and GRE look like and which schools are you looking at to possibly apply? if you don't mind sharing any of that info.... :)

If you haven't volunteered somewhere, try it out. I honestly went to a food bank as a box checker, but ended up loving it. I now volunteer any chance I get.

Volunteering helped me learn a lot about myself, and gave me an opportunity to interact with all kinds of people from different walks of life.

All that being said, it is really easy to spot the box checkers when you go, and I don't think they get anything from it. If that ends up being you, don't waist your time.

I mostly want to apply in Florida- really looking to get into NOVA in Orlando, since that's where I am living now.

Gre = 309 (taken in 2011 so may retake due to expiration)

GPA = I'm not 100% sure of because of the way caspa calculates it. My undergrad gpa was 3.2 (not the best, I know), and my grad school gpa was around the same. I do have research experience, healthcare experience, and I've been published, so I am hoping all of that factors into my application.

I'm not 100% sure how they weigh a graduate degree, but I'm assuming it's weighted more than an undergrad degree. I've had to work full time throughout both of my degree programs so I've never had the luxury of focusing solely on school, which will be something completely different about PA school. Hopefully my experience will allow me to stand out a bit and possibly make up for my gpa. I really don't want to retake classes because I already have 6 figures in student debt that I don't want to increase if I can avoid it, although sacrifices may have to be made. I guess we will see where this goes and hopefully it will work out for the best!

I think it would be pertinent to include that you worked full time during both degrees in your application somewhere, probably in your personal statement. Don't make a big deal of it but just state it briefly. 3.2 is below average but it's not the end of the world. 6000 HCE is great and of course try to score even higher this time on the GRE. I think you'll be fine as long as you apply wisely and broadly. 

• Administrator

I'm not 100% sure how they weigh a graduate degree, but I'm assuming it's weighted more than an undergrad degree.

I do not believe this is the universal case.  Since a 3.0 is often the lowing passing grade in graduate school, grade inflation is widely presumed to be rampant.  I doubt my 3.61 graduate GPA helped me at all.  YMMV if you have a science-focused graduate degree.

I do not believe this is the universal case. Since a 3.0 is often the lowing passing grade in graduate school, grade inflation is widely presumed to be rampant. I doubt my 3.61 graduate GPA helped me at all. YMMV if you have a science-focused graduate degree.

I have my masters in experimental pathology, so it is fully science based. I also realize that some of my prerequisite classes from ugrad were taken in 2006, when I started college so I am kind of already limited to only apply to schools that accept prerequisites for 10 years. I'm kicking myself in the butt now for waiting so long, but I was really undecided whether I wanted to do medical research or actually practice medicine. My PCE has taught me that I love helping my patients, but I don't want to run a business like an MD does. There is so much overhead and I think it's more important to be able to focus on excellent patient care, which is what really attracts me to the PA pathway.

• Administrator

I don't want to run a business like an MD does.

Seriously?  Most physicians are employees now.  Or, at best, partners in a large group with little day to day business management role.  Almost no one starts a private practice anymore.  If that's your only reason for NOT going to med school, you might want to reconsider.

Archived