Temporary PA license in Texas

Over the holidays, we relocated to Texas.  I was a licensed PA in Missouri prior to the move and very quickly found a position in the community we were moving to.  60+ days after submitting my license application to the Texas Medical Board, I received my temporary license (permanent license is scheduled to be issued April 1st as the PA board does not meet until then).  

My employer (an FQHC) does not know what to do with a temporary license and initially was having me just shadow other providers. Last week they let me start seeing patients and were billing everything as incident to-.  This week, though, my supervising physician is out on vacation and I am again unable to see patients.  They are still paying me, but I feel this is poor use of my abilities and a poor representation of the PA profession to them (they have typically just hired NPs in the past).  I have tried to explain to them that all the documentation suggests the temporary license is a fully functioning license, but they keep dragging their feet on doing any credentialing with medicare/medicaid, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with a temporary TX license and how your clinic was able to bill, etc prior to receiving the permanent license with a license number?  

Great news, I will be seeing patients again tomorrow!  I don't know the proper channels to take to correct this, but their big setback was that they could not find any official documentation about the PA temporary license here in Texas and how to proceed with it.  The Texas Medical Board website doesn't clarify too much on the topic. Anyway, Thanks again.

Archived