Pursue backup plan, while still applying to PA programs?

Hi all, 

So I didn't get anywhere with my first application to PA programs, and I do want to try again for 2017. But its a very real possibility that I won't get in, again. Would it be unwise to start nursing school this fall, while still actively be applying for PA programs? Or do you think that would look strange to admissions??

It's just, I'm 28, I need a career that pays and working as a CNA is stretching myself really thin, when I'm at the age that I should be saving money! What do you think?

Thanks for your insight!

Allie

i totally get what you're saying, with a huge pay difference between CNA and RN. would your nursing school be 2 years? if so, if you apply to PA school next cycle and get in, it wouldn't allow you much time to work as an RN and see some financial return from your decision to go to nursing school.

why do you think you possibly won't get in next cycle? if you apply broadly and early, and look for schools that are looking for applicants like you, you have a good chance, given your stats aren't completely terrible.

allie hauck???

Anyways... If you get into nursing school this fall, and get into PA school next fall that means you would've wasted 1 year in school (and maybe loans?.) Do you even have a guaranteed admission to RN school? It is getting tougher and tougher to do that too.

If you do decide to do RN school, why not just do NP? It is a hell of a lot cheaper, and it is geared towards working nurses, meaning you don't have to take 2 years out in loans. I don't want to discourage you from PA school, but to me, if you went through the hassle of doing RN you might as well do NP as well.

allie hauck???

Anyways... If you get into nursing school this fall, and get into PA school next fall that means you would've wasted 1 year in school (and maybe loans?.) Do you even have a guaranteed admission to RN school? It is getting tougher and tougher to do that too.

If you do decide to do RN school, why not just do NP? It is a hell of a lot cheaper, and it is geared towards working nurses, meaning you don't have to take 2 years out in loans. I don't want to discourage you from PA school, but to me, if you went through the hassle of doing RN you might as well do NP as well.

nope! different allie!

my thought is, say I got accepted to PA school, I could potentially leave nursing school after 1 semester... so that's only a drop in the bucket financially, compared to the cost of PA schooling. Plus, I would be done with my PA degree long before I could finish my BSN and NP. I haven't done a cost analysis though, so I might consider staying in nursing...  granted it's not exactly the career path I had wanted. I'll have to evaluate that more later... but 2 years to PA  or 2 years to BSN, plus 3-4 for NP... I'm not sure.  I'm impatient. I want a career now! Limbo is stressful.

right now, I'm just concerned what an admissions office would think. I would think it would be understandable, but I don't know... 

I dont think thats a good idea. That sounds like a waste of money. The reason you attend nursing school shouldn't be because you couldnt get into PA school just as the reason you attend PA school shouldnt be because you couldnt get into MD school or whatever.

I dont think adcoms would know youre currently in nursing school unless you disclose it, however, not disclosing the fact that youre attending nursing school during application/interview season does seem unethical to me. If adcoms somehow do find out then i think it would look bad. Whos to say you wont just quit PA school to attend medical school or go into the finance industry.

It would probably be more helpful if you post your stats so we get a better idea of your situation and how to improve your application for this upcoming cycle.

I dont think thats a good idea. That sounds like a waste of money. The reason you attend nursing school shouldn't be because you couldnt get into PA school just as the reason you attend PA school shouldnt be because you couldnt get into MD school or whatever.

That's the viewpoint I was anticipating, but I don't know that that is fair to say. I am serious about being in the medical field, but if I can't get into PA school right now, am I supposed to just not enter the field at all? It might be settling, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy my job and be good at what I do.

University of Wisconsin-Madison

Major: Biomedical Engineering 

Sci GPA: 3.5 ish

Non sci GPA: 3.75 ish

CNA in Abdominal Transplant: 1500 hrs

CNA in Rehab, Med/Surg, ICU, Emergency, LDRP: 1500 hrs

Shadow EMTs: 40 hrs (I want to be in critical care or emergency)

Shadow PAs: 50 hrs

Shadow MDs: 25 hrs

Four years in industry where I accomplished a lot of stuff that isn't immediately relevant to PA admissions, but I consider extremely valuable and transferable.

I've taken a few remaining prereqs this past year of which I received As, but didn't really impact my GPA.

But what's a better way to spend my money? Retaking a couple classes I got a B in undergrad? Or going to nursing school?

Allie,

Your stats really are not bad. Pretty much at the average or above for most programs I have researched. 3500hrs of relevant HCE is also on the higher end of average.

My advice would be to sit the GRE and aim for a cumulative score around 310. This opens up the options in terms of programs you can apply too.

At this point retaking classes you got a B in will not make that much difference.

Keep you eyes on the prize and apply early and broadly as suggested above.

Your stats are fine. People get in with far worse stats. The problem is else where. I suspect LORs, Personal statement, or school list is where the issue is. If you know for sure your LORs and PS are fine then it has to be school list. I can't think of any other issues. I mean if you have a record (institutional action, criminal convictions) then that would be a redflag but otherwise idk. Your stats merit an interview in my opinion. 

PAs and nurses do different things with different scopes of practice. So the possibility of you not enjoying what you do is very real if you pursue the wrong profession. 

Invest heavily in this next application cycle but only if you're ready. Make sure there are no redflags or even potential redflags. I would be extremely shocked if you don't even get interviews based on the stats you've presented. 

I think the problem, at least for me, isn't that you have a backup plan or that it's nursing, but it's that you are jumping on the backup plan before you've given up on PA school.

Like others have said, your stats are fine - make sure you are applying to schools where those stats are competitive.  Obviously not everyone gets into PA school, but if that's really your goal, don't give up on it.  Many applicants apply twice (this is so common) and some attempt a 3rd and 4th year of applying.  If your only reason for jumping ship is because being a CNA doesn't make enough money, then find a job that does while still applying to PA school.

If you start nursing school in the fall and then get into PA school and drop out of nursing, you're not only wasting money but taking away a spot for someone who's #1 goal is to be a nurse.  Technically there's no rules against it, it's just kind of crappy move.

I'm with you on the impatience of just getting into the field. I feel the same way, and like you, I wanted to have a higher scope of practice than an RN and didnt wanna wait to do the NP

Also, my way of thinking is more diagnostic in nature. After a semester of A&P I decided to drop all thoughts of nursing just dedicate myself to the PA path.

I think you should too. What are your stats like? How did your application get better from the year prior?

Archived