Waitlisted to top choice program

I was recently waitlisted to my top-choice program and was wondering if there is anything that I should be doing to increase my chances of being accepted.  When I asked where I was placed on the waitlist, they said that they couldn't give me that information.  I was going to leave it at that and let fate take its course, but a master's student at the school (not in the PA program) recently informed my mom that she knew of people who were waitlisted to the PA program and who continuously contacted them saying how much they wanted it and apparently that helped them get in.  In her words "be a pest."  Is this the right course of action to take?  I was accepted to another program, which I liked, and I already sent in my deposit, but if I was taken off of this wait list I would most likely go to this school, because I only live five minutes away (as well as other reasons).

No.  Being a pest will A: not increase your chances and B: certainly won't make them want you more (hello, annoying).  Other grad programs may have more flexibility in the number of students they admit but PA programs are pretty set on their class size.  They aren't going to add one extra seat because you call them every day and tell them you want it.  Everybody wants it.  Some people on the waitlist may have been rejected everywhere else and I bet they want it more than you (it's their only chance).  

You're on the waitlist.  You have to wait until spots open in the class (i.e. people who were accepted decline) and see if you get pulled from the waitlist.  Some students believe in sending letters of intent saying you will commit to going there if accepted, but it doesn't necessarily increase your chances.

If I were an adcom and someone pestered me I'd probably put their app at the bottom of the pile.  You're an adult, don't try and cheat the process.

I would agree to not be bothersome, most PA admission coordinators are getting so many calls everyday from prospective students that I am sure they want to throw the phone against the wall by the end of the day. Calling once a week for any updates might be acceptable but definitely don't overdue it. A few of my classmates were called the week before the program started so they had to scramble to get everything in order. Just something to keep in mind. The great thing is you already got into another program that you like!  

• Administrator

Yeah sounds like he said/she said.  Would you want to be bothered by everyone on the waitlist?  Just keep them updated on anything they should add/update to your file.  

This.  You can find creative excuses to update them ("Just wanted you to know I passed my ACLS class...") every month or two, but too much becomes transparent, and calling just to inquire is much less likely to impress them than actually calling to report a material improvement in your application packet.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I wouldn't ask for an update. When you ask for an update you are saying "did you forget about me?" I agree with emailing in periodic updates as long as they are true updates. Also be sure to express your gratitude when placed on the wait list. I know it sucks (i was wait listed myself). But, we must remember it is a huge accomplishment to even get an interview, much less be waitlisted. So I wrote a paragraph or two truly thanking my school for the opportunity. I don't know how big of a role it played, but I do believe that letter played a role in my acceptance. 

Archived