New Grad Urology Offer

I have been doing a rotation in a urology clinic in Mid-Michigan. They offered me a contract on my final day. Here are the stats:

Salary: $90k base with a $10k increase every year, capping at $120k

PTO: 10 days (including sick days). Can take up to two weeks unpaid time off with prior months notice.

CME: Covers all urology related CMEs

Bonus: $1k signing bonus

License and DEA: PA responsible for

Malpractice: Covered with tail coverage

401k and insurance: Health insurance paid for by clinic. Dental and eye at expense of PA. 401k is 3% matching and profit sharing after a year of employment.

I love the office and the staff and I really would love this job. I know the compensation is exceptional. But im concerned about the PTO and getting burned out. I showed them the AAPA national averages for PTO (10 days is 10th percentile, 20 days is 50th percentile) and just waiting for a response if they are willing to extend the amount of PTO. Anyone else have this amount of PTO and are happy with it? Any other advice?

Looks pretty good.  I would say the pay is good however I don't think it is exceptional.  I have new grad friends in primary care starting at 95k .  For a subspecialty like urology you should be charging a premium. 

Agreed about the cap, that seems a bit strange and it would definitely be something I would want to have removed.  You are going to be worth more than 120k a  year in 3 years and you will want your pay to reflect that. 

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think about it that way and that's a great point. I was more worried about the PTO than the cap.

I'd worry about both. You will be dissatisfied earlier by the PTO, but I can't see anyone staying at that practice beyond 3 years if they know in advance they'll never make a dime more than when they were only three years out. Ick.

Cme should cover whatever you want, the trade off is a certain monetary cap. Perhaps even use for your licensing..though they should pay that too.

10 days off? Screw that. Three weeks off should be minimum unless you work 3 days a week, then you could stretch those 10 days. That's a huge issue. If they don't see this..then that's another issue.

I would say the pay is fair..I don't like the idea of a cap, but everyone here is more offended by it then they should be.. So you're telling me what? That your pay should just keep going up? Perhaps some rvu based bonus after cap is appropriate.

Leverage what you can..bargain with what you can..prioritize your needs and see what happens.. Sometimes a great job makes up for some benefits but don't sell yourself and the profession short! And yes I do work with the stream team myself. Care to share what they will have you be doing?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived