I don't want to regret being a PA in 10 years, advice please..

So I'll be 24 in less than a month, and I'll be done with my B.S. in May. I plan on applying to PA next year next year, after I've gained more HCE and took a few more classes.

But sometimes I feel like I'm selling myself short by not going MD/DO. I've wanted to be a physician my entire life, I recently changed to PA because I found out that I could "practice medicine" by being a PA.

Sometimes I'm enthusiastic about being a PA, other times I wonder if I'll be fully satisfied with myself. There's a long thread on here basically saying that if you're under 30 you should go to medical school. Of course MD takes a lot longer, 4 years + residency. If I go to medical school, I'll be 30 years old just becoming a resident vs 30 years old as a PA making good money. I'm just so conflicted.

Any words of wisdom? Can anyone else relate?

Thanks.

I was recently in the same exact boat that you're in. I was in the MD/DO mindset since I was 7. Because that's what I was set on, that was the only thing I knew. I was introduced to PAs in my junior year of college, and by that time, it was too late to take all of the required pre-reqs and I was still very wary because I didn't know too much about it. I graduated last May, and I had gained more knowledge about PAs, so this past summer, I had to ask myself what it was that I wanted in my future.

So I literally had to make a pros and cons list because it was that hard for me. What it came down to was this: through my own research, along with stories from current PAs, it seemed that this option would provide me with a balanced lifestyle while doing the same thing that I would do with an MD/DO. And although I hated to admit it, the one thing that kept me close-minded about pursuing a PA career was the fact that it wouldn't provide me with the title of a "Doctor" so really, it was all about ego for me. But once I got past that, I realized that down the road, the only thing that I want to do is provide healthcare to those in need, and having the opportunity of being able to do that while having a 9-5 job as well as good pay was enough to make me happy with going the PA route. Of course some physicians have shorter work hours, but then you have to bring to light the fact that once you choose a sub-specialty, you can't change it like as easily as you can as a PA. And the sub-specialty that I want to go into (cardiothoracic surgery) would not have allowed me the opportunity to see much beyond the hospital walls, and as I get older, I just don't think that I can stay a workaholic forever.

I know my thoughts are scattered in this, but that is literally how I made a decision. I think you really need to ask yourself where you see yourself in the future. What, ultimately, is your goal? Do you like to work a lot or would you prefer a 9-5 job? Is the ego/title/letters getting in the way? You have to be honest with yourself. 

If your only reason at this point for pursuing PA is because it's shorter schooling and you'll be making money sooner, go the MD route.  Those are not good reasons to choose PA over MD.  Those things matter a little more when you are an older applicant but at 24 you should be considering the differences in how MDs and PAs practice for decision making.

If you switched to PA because you could *still* practice medicine, it just makes it sound like it was an easy out for you.  Go to med school.

Take the MCAT and see how you do.  Go to med school.  There are a few 3 years programs out there too, especially if you want to be in a primary care field. 

Archived