Time from graduation to practice

My program is 27 months so that's what I've been using to calculate time off work, etc. However, I am realizing that with having to pass the PANCE and get licensed before working, it may be the case that I'm looking at a few more months of being unemployed. If I take the PANCE quickly after graduation and pass the first time (I hope!), how long would I be out of work after graduation? I hear that many PAs get job offers during their rotations. Does that mean that you can start training right after graduation, or do these offers only start when everything is done. Thanks! I know I'm really thinking ahead here (don't start school until summer), but I just want to be adequately prepared!

Plan on a few months minimum. What slows things down is the licensing process of each state, which can vary.

For example, I had a job offer before graduation, but had to go through the following steps (I probably forgot some and some are independent of the others; i.e one doesn't necessarily lead to the next, its just the order I did it in):

PANCE -> NPI Number -> State License -> DEA Number -> State RX Number -> Hospital Credentialling

Another thing to keep in mind is that I was responsible for paying all the fees and for a conference that was a requirement of employment out of pocket initially. It was all reimbursed a few months after being employed (processing time is SLOW here) and any initial money shortfall was offset by a signing bonus.

I couldn't work, complete orientation, or even be officially an employee until I had all that in line. I'm sure there are some places that will let you credential and work with incomplete licensure and some that might put you in a training status while it all happens. However, all that costs money and you can only start to bring in revenue and pay your salary once you can practice under your own license. Thus, it's rare. 

Moral of the story, have money set aside and, even better, a free place to stay lined up for these few months because they will be a bit expensive on no income. 

• Administrator

Four weeks for me, but 1) I live in a good state, 2) Credentialling with my first employer was pretty simple, 3) I was already an EMT, so I didn't need to be fingerprinted or go through a background check, and 4) I got advice from a program alumnus practicing in my state on how to make it go fastest... i.e., I had my state app in and paid for before I even took my PANCE.  Not every state would let you do this.

Four weeks for me, but 1) I live in a good state, 2) Credentialling with my first employer was pretty simple, 3) I was already an EMT, so I didn't need to be fingerprinted or go through a background check, and 4) I got advice from a program alumnus practicing in my state on how to make it go fastest... i.e., I had my state app in and paid for before I even took my PANCE. Not every state would let you do this.

Similar for me. Actually had a temp license before PANCE results were back.

I'm a recent graduate and my downtime was very little (maybe a couple of weeks at most)

Prior to graduation, I performed an NPI Audit (required by my state) and got my results in the mail a few weeks before graduating.

I graduated November 1st (a couple months ago) in Nevada.

Drove home to California and submitted my application to the California PA Board on November 3rd (having not taken the PANCE yet) which included my lifescan and forms that needed to be signed by my PA program, the LEMSA (to verify any EMT disciplinary actions / certification status), and the same but separate form to the California Dept of Health for my Phlebotomy license.

I took my PANCE on November 11th.

Got a notification that the PA board was waiting for my PANCE results on Nov 14th.

November 19th I got notice I passed my PANCE.

I started orientation and training November 23rd (was paid by my employer).

November 26th I got my California state license.

I applied for my NPI November 27th and got my NPI number within the hour.

Applied for my DEA license November 30th.

Started seeing patients on my own by December 14th (did not write for narcotics).

Got a letter in the mail Dec 17th with my DEA number saying I was approved.

January 23rd I'm taking the controlled substance course so I can write for narcotics w/o protocol based approval or pre-authorization as allowed by my state.

As a side note, I still had my ER Tech job that I kept per diem while I was in school and worked a few shifts between shadowing at work and after taking my PANCE. I left there December 5thz

Plan on a few months minimum. What slows things down is the licensing process of each state, which can vary.

For example, I had a job offer before graduation, but had to go through the following steps (I probably forgot some and some are independent of the others; i.e one doesn't necessarily lead to the next, its just the order I did it in):

PANCE -> NPI Number -> State License -> DEA Number -> State RX Number -> Hospital Credentialling

Another thing to keep in mind is that I was responsible for paying all the fees and for a conference that was a requirement of employment out of pocket initially. It was all reimbursed a few months after being employed (processing time is SLOW here) and any initial money shortfall was offset by a signing bonus.

I couldn't work, complete orientation, or even be officially an employee until I had all that in line. I'm sure there are some places that will let you credential and work with incomplete licensure and some that might put you in a training status while it all happens. However, all that costs money and you can only start to bring in revenue and pay your salary once you can practice under your own license. Thus, it's rare. 

Moral of the story, have money set aside and, even better, a free place to stay lined up for these few months because they will be a bit expensive on no income. 

I agree with the above. I was allowed to work with a "new grad license" and bill incident-to under the physician. It took in whole several months before I could bill under my own professional license. 

Archived