My wife can't seem to find a job

My wife graduated 2 years ago and we are having the hardest time trying to find her a job. She had a great gpa high grades and good with rotations and very diligent.

We live in Cleveland and there are a handful of healthcare facilities in the area. She gets interviewed, follow up even had an offer pulled with no elaboration.

She thinks it has something to do with our background and faith but i tell her it's not. Any advice?

• Administrator

First, Ohio is not a PA friendly state.

Second, if you want us to evaluate the chance of your background/faith being a problem, you'd get better responses if you told us what it is.

You could also disclose her school, pre-PA HCE, and age if you wanted folks to evaluate the chances those might be involved.

So, wait, she graduated 2 years ago and has never worked as a PA?

This brings up some important issues (if it's the case):

- Why has she been unable to find employment? Even in a PA-unfriendly state, she should have been able to find SOMETHING.

- She spent as much time since graduation without working as she spent in PA school. If I were an employer, I'd be concerned that she forgot everything. (It's one thing to take off for a year or 2 when you've been practicing for 10+ years. It's completely another when you just graduated and don't have any experience)

My wife graduated 2 years ago and we are having the hardest time trying to find her a job. She had a great gpa high grades and good with rotations and very diligent.

We live in Cleveland and there are a handful of healthcare facilities in the area. She gets interviewed, follow up even had an offer pulled with no elaboration.

She thinks it has something to do with our background and faith but i tell her it's not. Any advice?

Move

First, Ohio is not a PA friendly state.

Second, if you want us to evaluate the chance of your background/faith being a problem, you'd get better responses if you told it what it is.

You could also disclose her school, pre-PA HCE, and age if you wanted folks to evaluate the chances those might be involved.

Ohio has a history of being an unfriendly PA state, but it now has 5 of the 6 key elements that the AAPA emphasizes on. Look at the new legislation that was passed last year. It's not really fair to call it a unfriendly PA state now in my opinion unless you don't believe in change. Also, the Cleveland clinic is always hiring PAs. I see tons and tons of job listings all around the cleveland area. Something else is up that OP hasn't discussed.

• Administrator

I wouldn't say Ohio isn't improving, and I never want to be seen as casting aspersions on the tireless work of those who've decided to stay there and change things.  I'm glad when those who chose that seemingly Sisyphean task see any forward progress at all!

But the number of practice points isn't the whole story.  Washington State only has four, same as Oregon and California, but everyone out here knows we're a much more PA-friendly state than either of the others.

Having said that, I really don't think that the state-friendliness of Ohio vs. others really is going to be making THAT much of a difference in the OP's wife's situation.  I'm curious to hear from him in follow up.

The largest single employer of PAs in the state of Ohio is the Cleveland Clinic, which I believe is also the largest employer in Cleveland. I've been there; it's got to be at least 20 city blocks. Their heart hospital alone is 9 stories high with a couple of ICUs on every floor. And there are many other employers in the area as well. In addition, Cleveland is PA friendly enough that many PA students from programs outside of the area come to Cleveland for rotations.

All that said, when you are looking for a job -- or selling a house -- all you need is one customer. There are many openings for PAs in that section of the state. Given this background, the situation painted by the OP is concerning. If his wife has not found a PA job in 2 years, and is not getting offers, then there is a good probability that some other factor is interfering. An unusually restrictive set of job interests/personal requirements, inadequate recommendations, something in her past, less-developed interview skills: Something. 

Rather than worrying about geography and fences on the other side of which the grass may be is a bit greener, I think the focus should be on the applicant and her approach to job hunting.

• 2 weeks later...

If she is getting interviews, she probably needs to work on her interview skills and ensure she is not being super picky about places she's applying, travel, hours, salary, pto, environment etc. In this day and age, I sincerely hope her faith and background would not affect her job prospects.

Archived