Hello,

I am currently finishing up my associate in science and am wondering which undergrad route to take. I was originally planning on working towards a bs in psychology but have recently discovered that my school offers a bachelor's in radiologic technology. This program appeals a bit more, as I feel it will be applicable knowledge for PA school and something to fall back on If I do not get in. I guess my questions are which route would you take and why? Which degree do you think will appeal more to PA programs? Has anyone gone either route and are satisfied? (Cost of both is about the same.) Thank you for your opinion, very much appreciated!

General consensus here is to major in something that a) you like/enjoy and b) gives you a plan B for if you never make it into a PA program. Rad tech would probably be your better option if you think you'll enjoy it and will give you some nice HCE if you practice for a while before applying. PA schools don't care about your major as much as your pre-reqs so as long as you work those in you'll be fine. 

You can have any major, as long as you take the prereqs you need. I would not recommend taking a degree that you think PA programs would like, but rather something that would prepare you for something you would like to do, whether or not you get into PA school. You will be spending a lot of time and money on your degree and it's best viewed as an investment in you.

Hello,

I am currently finishing up my associate in science and am wondering which undergrad route to take. I was originally planning on working towards a bs in psychology but have recently discovered that my school offers a bachelor's in radiologic technology. This program appeals a bit more, as I feel it will be applicable knowledge for PA school and something to fall back on If I do not get in. I guess my questions are which route would you take and why? Which degree do you think will appeal more to PA programs? Has anyone gone either route and are satisfied? (Cost of both is about the same.) Thank you for your opinion, very much appreciated!

You have answered your own question.

• 2 weeks later...

chelseybc just wanted to let you know i would be careful regarding the rad tech right now. I currently work in radiology.....anyway the job market for rad techs appears to be pretty slim...my office currently takes students and they are having difficulty finding work right now...I am in New York, so maybe your area is not so rad tech saturated. but getting a degree in something you cannot find a job in, will not help you get into a pa program.

I'm obviously not anywhere close to that position yet, but when sitting with my advisor, I was offered several choices, most of which I really either didn't like or didn't offer a safety net if I don't make it into PA school. I chose the EMC - paramedic science because it's already something I'm familiar with and I know I can rely on at least a part time position at graduation. 

Congratulations on getting this far and good luck for your next phase!

Archived