Utterly jobless in NYC...3 months and counting. Anyone else in the same boat?

I am a fairly new grad, still having absolutely no luck finding any work in the metro NYC area for months now. Seems ever jobs wants either native Spanish speakers or tons of experience,. neither of which I have. Anyone else in the same boat?

You need to leave NYC...even if it is only for five years to get experience....

We have 50 openings...no wait, make that 52 right now.

If you don't mind working in the Bronx (or at least don't mind the commute) Montefiore is hiring PAs like it's going out of style. Just interviewed there for CT Surgery (decided not to go based on personal reasons) but they have openings in IM, Gen Surgery, CT, Vasc, and other medicine areas.

Chris Cooper is the main contact person and his information is listed on the website.

Check it out, they are in need of quality PAs and new grads are hired.

http://jobs.pa-exchange.com/c/job.cfm?site_id=11588&jb=8628993

I want to give whatever encouragement you need but it seems that this post is one of a recurring theme from you. It is an easy feat to simply look back at your previous posts and not help but notice that you are getting the same advice as the last time you had the same lament.

http://www.PhysicianAssistantForum.Com/forums/showthread.php/33289-Getting-offered-a-job-as-emergency-clinic-PA...but-am-I-ready?p=319660&highlight=#post319660 in this post you discussed that you have been working and things were not going well.

With this apparently recurring theme and replay of similar advice, do you think it may be time to try something new? Interview coaching? Job coaching? Relocation? Research instead of clinical med? Walking away from PA? To repeat the same thing and expect different results is the definition of insanity. You need to find a whole new approach angle.

I am sure it must be tough and I don't envy you at all. Good luck to you.

I have applied to every hospital in the five boroughs numerous times over the past months, including literally handing my CV to department secretaries and such. Absolutely nothing. I got so far as an interview with a department chief in one hospital and had positive feedback, then they simply stopped returning my calls. I did interview with Chris Cooper, once earlier in the year and once a few months ago; As far as he told me, Montefiore is on a complete hiring freeze until a new budget is passed. I did go to school right here NYC, and most of my classmates had jobs secured before the recession, but I took the boards a few months too late. I'm currently applying for CT license (and considering NJ but the application is a nightmare), but beyond that I don't know people in high places...which seems to be the only way to secure a job.

I have applied to every hospital in the five boroughs numerous times over the past months, including literally handing my CV to department secretaries and such. Absolutely nothing. I got so far as an interview with a department chief in one hospital and had positive feedback, then they simply stopped returning my calls. I did interview with Chris Cooper, once earlier in the year and once a few months ago; As far as he told me, Montefiore is on a complete hiring freeze until a new budget is passed. I did go to school right here NYC, and most of my classmates had jobs secured before the recession, but I took the boards a few months too late. I'm currently applying for CT license (and considering NJ but the application is a nightmare), but beyond that I don't know people in high places...which seems to be the only way to secure a job.

Have you considered moving? I'm actually quite serious. Think about some place like Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, Hopkins, etc. Much more tolerant of newer graduates, lots of learning, they are often the best places for someone in your position. So you move for 5 years. NYC will always be there. Go get some training and experience, and then move back.

I'm currently applying for CT license (and considering NJ but the application is a nightmare).

good plan. you just need to get out of nyc and start over somewhere else.

alternatively if you must stay in nyc there are several pa residencies in the city....staten island, ny presby, montefiore, etc

Commute to western MA...... Berkshire health systems. Berkshire medical center. Level II. But always need PA. Even hiring in ER now....

or just got this.....

UMass Memorial Health Care is the largest not-for-profit health care system in Central Massachusetts with 1,600 physicians and 13,500 employees. We are located in Central Massachusetts – Worcester, MA 01605

Our comprehensive network of care includes a three-campus academic medical center, four member community hospitals, affiliated community hospitals, outpatient clinics, community-based physician practices, long-term care facilities, and home health, hospice, rehabilitation and mental health services. UMass Memorial is dedicated to promoting health and wellness in the community.

As the clinical partner of the University of Massachusetts Medical School, our physicians have access to the latest clinical trials and cutting-edge technology providing our patients with quality and compassionate health care. Or click here to find out more information.

http://www.umassmemorial.org/MedicalCenterIP.cfm?id=1612

Once you visit our site and are interested in any of the positions posted, please apply online.

click on this link http://www.umassmemorialcareers.org/

OR, if you are a Physician Assistant and interested in CCU, SICU, Neuro CC, MICU, eICU only (as theses areas do not hire new PA Grads), please click on this link to find out more about our Critical Care Physician Assistant Residency Program.

http://www.umassmemorial.org/MedicalCenterIP.cfm?id=4262

If you should have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Thank You

Jean

Jean Decoteau

HR Staffing Partner

UMass Memorial Health Care

15 Belmont St.

Worcester, MA 01605

(P)508-334-1430

(F)508-334-5054

jean.decoteau@umassmemorial.org

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, transmission, re-transmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer

I feel like part of this story is missing, but in any case, you need to try something different. Flooding NYC hospitals with your CV hasn't worked so far, so you either need to broaden your job search geographically, or ask yourself what about your resume is unattractive to potential employers. It could be your lack of experience, yet you mention that your classmates have all found jobs. It could be your employment history. You say you've been fired from a job before; are you including that on your resume? That would be a huge red flag. Of course, the other problem you have is that the longer you go without a job, the weirder your resume is going to look - it's sort of hard to explain why you went to PA school x months (or years) ago without ever landing a job. You could blame it on the economy, or the NYC job market, but I think it will eventually look suspicious no matter what. Bottom line is you must have loans to repay and you need a job - why don't you kill two birds with one stone and try the NHSC or something? Get some experience, let them pay off some of your loans, etc. Yeah, you're going to have to move for a while. But ask yourself: how's NYC working out for you?

there was a huge PA hiring event at St. Lukes-Roosevelt today. did you go? If you have a car - expand your search to something commutable outside the city. there are a TON of practices and hospitals, especially ones that arent teaching hospitals, so if you like surgery you are more likely to be in the OR. Im a new grad in NYC, and no one in my class has seemed to have a hard time...

I'm a new grad in NYC. I got my job (EM) because I rotated there and so had an in.

When I was studying for the PANCE

I did send out a few resumes and didn't hear much but this was before I got my C and license etc. I think NYC is a tough job market and so you will probably get a better response once you have the C, license, DEA, NPI and I think it's worthwhile to get ACLS.

As was already mentioned Montefiore in the Bronx is known for being PA friendly and hiring new grads. I think city hospitals are also worth checking out, especially those in Queens and Brooklyn.

To be honest if I could get out of NYC I would. My fiancé is finishing up her Master's but after that I am out of here.

Archived