Forgetfulness and being a healthcare provider

My neighbor asked me to feed his fish while he was on vacation. He told me to turn the pond pump on when I got there and turn it off when I left. I forgot to turn it off and all of his fish died.

I'm feeling really disheartened and like I can't even keep fish alive (I do have my own pets and know I'm capable of keeping animals alive). I know that fish aren't like people, but my confidence is shot anyway. I have adhd and have always thought that I could overcome it, but I'm starting to have doubts. Can you be somewhat forgetful and still provide quality healthcare? Can you have adhd and not screw everything up?

I get forgetful at times when I am bombarded with multiple requests back to back from providers. 

I carry a notepad in my scrub pockets whenever I work and jot down everything that needs to be done... rapid lab tests, lab send outs, to even charting the results before the provider locks the EMR. 

And as cinntsp stated, it will be difficult to kill someone if you have a strong support staff. 

Here...this is what I currently use: 

http://goo.gl/hOHvtm

WRITE THINGS DOWN. I cannot emphasize that enough.I consider myself to have a pretty good memory, but new unfamilar information disappears quickly for most people when they need it. I carry a notebook and write down everything from unfamilar steps to a process to "today" and "tommorrow" to-do lists to topics to bring up in the next meeting.

Part two, of course, is to LOOK AT THE LIST when it is oppertune. IE. "What did my neighbor need me to do again - oh right." A list like this can help make sure you follow all steps until the process becomes routine and the order of steps is second nature. Also it prevents learning the process with steps missing, and from asking someone to repeat information to you uneccessarily.

Just my two cents from someone who loves sticky notes. :)

Good advice above. If you have memory issues, you can't depend on your mind to remember lots of unrelated facts. Besides paper, there are lots of smartphone-related notes applications. Your problem isn't your mind, it's not using a backup system.

You can be a PA with adhd; you just have to use some tools.

Docs forget stuff all. the. time.  Unless you have a medical condition, I wouldn't stress about it.  Consults, lab orders, med changes and especially applications for disability benefits are constantly forgotten by providers.  It's just part of the beast, when you've got a full schedule for the day, 27 walk-ins, half of the nursing staff has called in sick again, the patient advocate is on your case about a case of butthurt, you tend to forget the small stuff.

Archived