Navy HPSP Questions

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the process of applying for HPSP through the Navy. I will be going to MEPS on Friday and will be doing my interviews soon as well. I am looking for have my application in for the December review. My recruiter says that 11 scholarships have been awarded out of approximately 18. Anyone know what the chances are that I will get it? (GPA 3.79, GRE 1110, HCE 1250 hours)

Also, after submitting the application...how long does it take to hear back about whether or not you've been accepted?

Any information is helpful! It is my desire to serve my country as a PA so I am saying my prayers!

Thanks,

Kevin

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the process of applying for HPSP through the Navy. I will be going to MEPS on Friday and will be doing my interviews soon as well. I am looking for have my application in for the December review. My recruiter says that 11 scholarships have been awarded out of approximately 18. Anyone know what the chances are that I will get it? (GPA 3.79, GRE 1110, HCE 1250 hours)

Also, after submitting the application...how long does it take to hear back about whether or not you've been accepted?

Any information is helpful! It is my desire to serve my country as a PA so I am saying my prayers!

Thanks,

Kevin

These stats make you highly competitive.

-Navy PA-C

• 6 months later...

I was hoping I could also get some thoughts on my stats with hpsp/hscp

I have a 3.55 GPA undergrad, 4 years ICU RN, many grad courses with a 3.86, 1040 GRE, and I've gone to Honduras twice (10 days each) where I was a first assist for ENT.

Recruiter says I've got about a 60% chance of getting hpsp, but I'd like to hear from some others.

I have a 3.55 GPA undergrad, 4 years ICU RN, many grad courses with a 3.86, 1040 GRE, and I've gone to Honduras twice (10 days each) where I was a first assist for ENT.

Recruiter says I've got about a 60% chance of getting hpsp, but I'd like to hear from some others.

Your GPA (as long it is your calculated CASPA GPA) is great, HCE is also very good, GRE is ok. I think you have a decent if not good chance overall as long as they have not given out to many scholarships this year.

You may be a little late for this years application pool that is why your recruiter is giving you the 60% chance of being awarded the scholarship. I started the process in feb. 2010, submitted by packet in March, 2010, found out I unoffically was ordered the Scholarship in Aug. 2010, officially awarded the scholarship in Oct. 2011 and commissioned in Jan. 2012. It is a long process.

Let me know if you have anymore questions

Your GPA (as long it is your calculated CASPA GPA) is great, HCE is also very good, GRE is ok. I think you have a decent if not good chance overall as long as they have not given out to many scholarships this year.

You may be a little late for this years application pool that is why your recruiter is giving you the 60% chance of being awarded the scholarship. I started the process in feb. 2010, submitted by packet in March, 2010, found out I unoffically was ordered the Scholarship in Aug. 2010, officially awarded the scholarship in Oct. 2011 and commissioned in Jan. 2012. It is a long process.

Thanks! I really want this and I wanted to make sure the recruiter wasn't just making me feel good about it.

Actually, he said I'm ahead of schedule. He said no scholarships have been given out because for some reason (I forget why, but he did explain it) all apps have been placed on hold until July. I think he also mentioned there are fewer spots this year. Even a classmate of mine who was promised a spot and applied long ago (former corpsman) has his on hold and is no longer promised a spot. Hopefully this is all true and I should be close to the front of the line.

Again, thank you for the response.

Thanks! I really want this and I wanted to make sure the recruiter wasn't just making me feel good about it.

Actually, he said I'm ahead of schedule. He said no scholarships have been given out because for some reason (I forget why, but he did explain it) all apps have been placed on hold until July. I think he also mentioned there are fewer spots this year. Even a classmate of mine who was promised a spot and applied long ago (former corpsman) has his on hold and is no longer promised a spot. Hopefully this is all true and I should be close to the front of the line.

The quotas come via BUMED. Engage them directly for the best info. Recruiters tend to go by info disseminated at a lower level. I was told there were no slots and that I had no real chance.

I am now an O-3 who is a dept head at a high acuity overseas command and have deployed with the Marines as a trauma team leader...go figure. ;)

Trust but verify...

The quotas come via BUMED. Engage them directly for the best info. Recruiters tend to go by info disseminated at a lower level. I was told there were no slots and that I had no real chance.

I am now an O-3 who is a dept head at a high acuity overseas command and have deployed with the Marines as a trauma team leader...go figure. ;)

Trust but verify...

Interesting. I was told by my recruiter (who was told by someone else) that they arent giving out scholarships anymore this year. My wife and I were really looking forward to the possibility and it seems like we havent gotten solid information. What is the best way to contact BUMED for accurate info?

Thanks everyone for you help,

Kevin

• 3 months later...

Archived